From Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Point / counterpoint on deer management | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
[CODE]
Quote:
Outdoors notebook
Point / counterpoint on deer management
February 19, 2017 12:00 AM

By John Hayes / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
On last week’s outdoors page, biologist, outdoors writer and noted deer authority C.J. Winand said that while other deer hunting states are “envious” of Pennsylvania’s deer management policy, he had bones to pick with details of the plan. Nothing nasty, just his belief that the Game Commission’s antler restrictions were the result of a bad but necessary compromise, and enforcing a minimum 15-inch inside spread would better protect young bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

I would encourage everyone to ready the entire short article in the link, including Rosenberry’s reply, instead of just this small cherry picked snippet.

I agree with Rosenberry instead of Winard. Anyone who thinks a 15 inch spread restriction would be better for Pennsylvania, or for hunters, is looking at it ONLY from a trophy perspective instead of a wise deer management or hunter satisfaction perspective.

Dick Bodenhorn
Muzz, casey, bigguy54 and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM

I agree with Mr. Rosenberry. I went to school (many years ago) and can count to at least 10 but would have a problem deciding between 14 or 15 inches. I have a couple of basket rack 8 points that are 10 inches or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Very strongly agree spread restrictions are too difficult in real world hunting situations and the current system works by protecting most yearlings. That was and should be the goal, not creating a trophy destination. I would however be in favor of adding a spread provision, the key being in addition to the points. Where we hunt in 2D we've seen a couple deer reach maturity as very large 6 points but are illegal to harvest. Rare situation but those deer being mature should be legal for harvest.
post #5 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 PM
The Man

Personally, I don't think AR's even matter anymore. We are losing hunters on a continual basis. Fewer and fewer people hunting every year. And enough people practice their own AR, passing on sub 3 1/2 year old bucks, that the PGC's AR could be lifted and it won't affect much at all. At this point in time, it's just a feel good for some.
post #6 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM
The Man

Back before AR I went to Georgia on a so called trophy deer hunt. Dooley County Ga. at the time was a minimum of a 15" spread and the outfitter made his rule 16" to help out to be safe. If it you killed something under 15" he called DNR and fined you himself 500.00, under 16" and to 15" he just fined you 500.00. You signed a contract before hunting of this was the rules. The rule of thumb was the ears was 16" don't shoot under the ear size and you would be safe. I was asking him back then some details and he said the genetics had to be so good for a spread rule like this and I could agree. I kind of have my own 16" rule anything under I'm just not interested in. So needless to say I dont harvest a buck every year. I like horns but everyone else might not and to do something like this would be a disaster. Of course it would be a good money maker for PGC on fines.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
Back before AR I went to Georgia on a so called trophy deer hunt. Dooley County Ga. at the time was a minimum of a 15" spread and the outfitter made his rule 16" to help out to be safe. If it you killed something under 15" he called DNR and fined you himself 500.00, under 16" and to 15" he just fined you 500.00. You signed a contract before hunting of this was the rules. The rule of thumb was the ears was 16" don't shoot under the ear size and you would be safe. I was asking him back then some details and he said the genetics had to be so good for a spread rule like this and I could agree. I kind of have my own 16" rule anything under I'm just not interested in. So needless to say I dont harvest a buck every year. I like horns but everyone else might not and to do something like this would be a disaster. Of course it would be a good money maker for PGC on fines.
if you like horns then you have to hunt sheep or antelope, deer dont have any

and there are bucks in the record books with some really small, narrow spreads.
outofstater and GobbleBuck like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 02-20-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #8 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Personally, I don't think AR's even matter anymore. We are losing hunters on a continual basis. Fewer and fewer people hunting every year. And enough people practice their own AR, passing on sub 3 1/2 year old bucks, that the PGC's AR could be lifted and it won't affect much at all. At this point in time, it's just a feel good for some.

I wonder the same thing myself.
Dobsonknob likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

If there are still truly those out there who have the brown and down mentality, then spikes and forks would still be shot to some degree.

It would be an interesting poll. All those who are against ARs, would you shoot a smnall buck if it were legal again?
post #10 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
if you like horns then you have to hunt sheep or antelope, deer dont have any

and there are bucks in the record books with some really small, narrow spreads.
Ahh man I dont know what to do then. I think antelope are ugly and would sooner watch paint dry hen to hunt them, and to old, fat, and lazy to hunt sheep. For most part I got in to wildlife photography and would sooner shoot them with my Nikons.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page