King for a day - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

King for a day

I see so much bickering and whining about seasons lately...archery not fair, muzzys deserve a shot, no one rifle hunts anymore, etc. It's all ridiculous, but just because it's February and I'm bored, what are your king for a day deer and bear seasons?

Here are mine:

Archery deer and bear: Oct 1 - Dec 31;
Rifle deer (AR for everyone): Current opener through second Friday. Just trading first Sunday for the second Saturday;

Junior/Senior rifle, either sex deer and bear, no AR: Saturday and Sunday before Thanksgiving;
Rifle bear: Old Monday opener through that Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Flintlock, buck or bear: Thanksgiving - Jan 2;
Flintlock, doe: First Saturday of rifle - Jan 2;
Goodbye inline muzz/209 primer season - use in rifle season

Other reg changes:
Obviously, Sunday hunting
Actually enforce and punish trespassing laws
No spot reserving treestands overnight on public land
Drives - public land, limited to 4 drivers. It's the massive drives that cause problems. Private land no size requirements but require written permission/owner's presence.
Designate a few SGL near Philly/Pgh "high quality hunting" and have draw systems, not ridiculously limiting draws, not with trophy buck intent, but keep from getting totally overrun and pushing all deer off the properties. New CID #'s get priority in these draws (hunter recruitment tool)
Phase out/buy back State Forest lease camps in certain areas over the next 100 years to restore wilderness

Popcorn's on the stove boys, have at it. Just remember we're all in this together!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I could care less about dates, I'll find some very very limited time to hunt no matter when the seasons are. I would like to see Sunday hunting.

My only rules that I would like to see, and enforced…

No small airplanes are allowed to fly low over SGL's during hunting season. Every time you hear something, a small plane decides to do some stunt at about treetop level, yes the critters are used to it, but it really ruins the hunt. Down here in 5C I swear they only fly during hunting season and only over the SGLs.
All SGL hunters must take a bi-yearly refresher in ethics and hunter courtesy, especially in the SE. Not sure who would teach it, but it would remind folks of treating others how you like to be treated, and giving each other space and just being friendly.
No baiting on or feeding of wildlife on land within 20 miles of an SGL.
No flagging tape allowed on SGL's. I'm tired of seeing all of it and take it down whenever I can. I'm not that old, but I'm old enough to know how to get to and from where I want to hunt. With today's GPS units and a basic compass it's not that hard.

I'll disagree with this one, not trying to argue, just from my point of view, which according to my wife is flawed most days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
Designate a few SGL near Philly/Pgh "high quality hunting" and have draw systems, not ridiculously limiting draws, not with trophy buck intent, but keep from getting totally overrun and pushing all deer off the properties. New CID #'s get priority in these draws (hunter recruitment tool)
There's not many public places to hunt near Philly, not sure how Pburg is, but to limit their access would turn more hunters away, remember who's driving those new license holders. I'll be honest, the biggest issue I've seen in the last few years is there has just been enough pressure to lock the deer down, but not enough to get any deer moving. We need some more folks in the woods, hunting that is.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM
The Man

I'd agree with not allowing stands overnight, and with better enforcement plus stiffer fines on the trespassing issue.
As far as the seasons go, if extra time can be allowed in regards to game management, then I think the extra time should be spread out more evenly among the various weapons/seasons.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Who enforce the trespassing issue? I'm thinking it's local or state Leo . Not wco
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM
The Man

I believe you are correct. WCO can't enforce trespass unless a game violation is committed. I'd like to see that changed, but on the other hand, they are already stretched pretty thin on time.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Mt lion season extended 2 weeks in wmu's 1A, 2B. Thats where the expanding population has been causing the most problems.

Flintlock only season for 'possums. Recent studies show the resource can handle the additional harvest.

A week of early duck season for hunters age 58 to 60 who wear reading glasses only, not perscription glasses. Season to be set by aarp.
jimbridger, Bates and Bows B4 Hoes like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM

i like all your seasons. Ban drives and flagging tape and I'd be happy.
SRA-5C+ and elk yinzer like this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mountain lions can only be harvested on the 6th Sunday of the month, only on SGL's and between the hours of 3-5 am, over big foot bait piles
and only auto rifles can be used.

Ban all drives for all seasons.

Bear season is after Deer season closes.

All trespassers caught will be subject to $1000.00 fine on first offense. Second offense is $5000.00 and loss of license for a decade plus loss of firearms and or ATV or Quads. And 100 hours community service cleaning up game lands of abandoned stands, cat eyes and marking tapes.

All special reg areas are open from August 1 till Feb 28.
elk yinzer likes this.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 AM

I hear you all about trespassing the cops don't want bothers even if u have trail cam pic, I hunt out of state in many states and u do not cross lines and get caught its not a slap on the hand like in pa. Yes I'd make the penilty severely harsh so you only do it once
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey lets go back to the regs during the 1970's. with these exceptions. The Rifle deer season should be concurant buck & doe. The only legal way to hunt deer & bear is by driving' that is all deer seasons, & there has to be a minimum of 10 guys in a group to hunt deer or bear' no more solo hunts. Be it by stand or still hunting. Spring Gobbler should be limited to 3 weeks & hunters must be out of the woods by 10am.

Seems ridiculus doesn't it. But it is no more ridiculus then some of the other things the other things here being mentioned. Some that have posted here say they are being limited because of no Sunday hunting, & I agree, but they have no problem limiting the way other hunters like to hunt, just because they do not utilize that method or season as long as they have their way. Let's face it we all like to hunt & sometimes our methods may overlap with some one else. hey if you are public land that is the way it is we all have the same right to hunt that land with any legal method we want to use. Now if on private land & this happens then there is a trespassing issue, if an property owner allows a certain hunting method by hunters & allows them to hunt property then there is no need for written permission or the owners presence.

We all like to hunt, some of us like to hunt using different methods. let's just realise that. oh yeah those that say this is just a fantasy or dream. deep down this is how we want it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page