2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery

Hunters who dream about the hunt of a lifetime will be happy to know that the 2017 Maine moose permit lottery application process is now open.
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline for online applications is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.

Applicants are awarded bonus points for each consecutive year that they have applied for the lottery since 1998 without being selected and each bonus point gives the applicant an additional chance in the drawing.
-
Bonus points are earned at the rate of one per year for years one to five, two per year for years six to 10, three per year for years 11 to 15 and 10 per year for years 16 and beyond.
Since 2011, applicants can skip a year and not lose their bonus points. So if they applied in 2015 but not in 2016, they still have their points available if they apply in 2017.

The moose permit drawing will take place on June 17, 2017 at Caribou Parks and Recreation.

For more information about moose hunting in Maine and the moose permit lottery, please visit: Moose Hunting Permits: Maine IF&W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM

I may need to start doing this. I know it's pretty hard to draw but I have always dreamed about killing a moose and Maine is a great state.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 AM

I need Maine to complete my Moose hat trick of the New England states. But having just took a job that has a no vacation policy for Sept. and Oct. It'll just have to wait for another year.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sent mine in a few days ago. Now just got to wait till June.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

The deadline to apply for the 2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery is fast approaching!
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
The deadline to apply for the 2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery is fast approaching!
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.

Thanks for posting this, I forgot all about it.
jimbridger and casey like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was drawn as an "alternate". Does anyone truelly know what this means?

its my understanding that now i just play the waiting game until the middle of August, at which time (if enough people dont take there license) they will contact me and offer a license to me?

- As an alternate, do they only contact me if it was for a zone that i chose on my application or can it be for any zone?

anyone with any info on this or that has gone through this process (as an alternate) in the past I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide

Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
I was drawn as an "alternate". Does anyone truelly know what this means?

its my understanding that now i just play the waiting game until the middle of August, at which time (if enough people dont take there license) they will contact me and offer a license to me?

- As an alternate, do they only contact me if it was for a zone that i chose on my application or can it be for any zone?

anyone with any info on this or that has gone through this process (as an alternate) in the past I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide

Thanks
Moose Permit Lottery Frequently Asked Questions: Maine IF&W

Q. I don't understand what the subpermittee and alternate subpermittee are all about.

A. The subpermittee is a person who can hunt with the permittee and either the permittee or the subpermittee can kill the moose. Only one moose can be killed per permit, so the permittee and subpermittee must be physically in the presence of each other without the aid of radios or similar devices so that you don't both kill a moose.

Upon application to the Department, the permittee may change that person's subpermittee or alternate subpermittee until 30 days prior to the start of the moose hunting season for which the permit was issued.

If the subpermittee cannot go on the hunt, you have up to 5 business days to switch your alternate subpermittee to be your subpermittee. The permittee must always be present - the subpermittee cannot hunt alone.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Casey.

However that type of "alternate" is different from the type that i have been chosen for. I am an "alternate" for when other hunters that have been selected to get a license decide for one reason or another not to take it. At that point, the Maine department of wildlife goes to the "alternate" list, starting at #1 to determine if that alternate wants the license and then continues through the list of alternates until the tag is filled. That much I understand....however, its all the details of exactly how this process works is what i am curious about.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page