Daughters first deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Daughters first deer

Opening day found my daughter and I in an area we seen deer in the past few outings. We saw no deer but some squirrels. Tuesday we tried it again and I saw a doe.

The first Sat. we relocated to a different area which was in a blind that has been successful for her brothers in the past. We saw a doe about 8:30 come up the ridge about 70yds but she was moving too fast for Alicia to get a shot. I told her it was early, we'll probably see more later. After awhile she was getting hungry so she got out a bag of trail mix. I was looking to the right of us down into a ravine when I turned my head left to ask her something and up outa the hollow to our left I see a deer come up over and stop behind a big oak. I looked at her and whispered, "don't move" she whispers back, "where is it". I said, "below us at 11 o'clock at 40yds. She said, "I see it. Now she has the trail mix in her hand and guess where her rifle is... Its beside her laying on the ground. I said to her, its behind the tree for me I think I can lean over get your rifle and hand to you, she said okay. I lean over slowly grab the gun and hand it to her. I thought so far so good. She shoulders the .243 and click the safety to Fire....Bang the doe kicks and runs about 50yds and stops. My daughter shot through some brush and I thought she might of hit it a little back so I said shoot her again.. Bang. The deer runs down the ridge and flips over dead.

I said, You did it!!! You got it.. She was so excited and overcome with alot of emotions we just sat there for a minute looking at it laying down below us. We got our selves together and walked down to it. She was really excited. We took some pics and I showed her how to gut it and said this ones on me you have to do your next one, she didn't care she said I will. We looked at where she shot it and there were 2 holes, one inch apart behind the shoulder. I said good shootin' girl, I'm proud of ya, she smiled ear to ear.

We took the deer to camp and showed it off to some friends and relatives that stopped by.

She wanted a Euro mount done so I had a friend at work do the skull work and plaque

He even made it with a pin in the back so you can take it off the plaque to look at and or clean it from time to time. We wrapped it up and surprised her at Christmas. It was like she lived it all over again

Oh, BTW I know in the pic she doesn't have her vest on but it came off when she took her pack off to touch the deer. Just thought I would mention it before some people start asking questions

A squakin' turkey don't live long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very cool. Big congrats to her and you!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats to the both of you. And isn't it ashame that you even have explain yourself about the vest because of the Internet police!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Congrats!!

Also,
Quote:
Oh, BTW I know in the pic she doesn't have her vest on but it came off when she took her pack off to touch the deer. Just thought I would mention it before some people start asking questions
They won't

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations to Alicia.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

OutSTANDING! Congratulations! That smile says it all.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Wow...that's a big doe! Congrats.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a nice size doe. Congrats. Cool idea on the European mount.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

cherish these memories because ...... well you know. my girls first deer she shot it through the lower part of the front leg and when I tried to track it ,it looked like someone stuck a pole in the ground and it didn't make any sence to me until I found it .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Wow...that's a big doe! Congrats.
Yea it was a big 'ol doe, when we walked down to it I said to her "Wow do you think you could've shot a bigger one?"

A squakin' turkey don't live long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page