ARgument against the use of Semi Auto for big game - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 316Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

ARgument against the use of Semi Auto for big game

I am all for the use of semi auto rifles for hunting. with that being said i started this post to ask one question and to understand the views of others and to not muddy up the other posts. lets keep the name calling out of this, personal opinions are as welcome as fact based statements, when citing facts please provide a link to the info if possible.

Thank You

QUESTION:

What is your argument against the use of Semi Auto rifles for hunting / hunting big game ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am for the use of semi auto,however I can see where some hunters may abuse the use of them. Primarily the "spray and pray " hunter that unloads the magazine at a running animal. I hope that this is an extreme minority .Not much different than some lever gun hunters I hear sometimes in the woods shooting multiple rounds( more than 2-3) in quick succession.
Springer Rage likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Muzz and nomad_archer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Just keep it civil here, please.

Thank you.

bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My case against is this:

The vast majority of semi auto rifles out there are chambered in 5.56/.223. While I do believe that there are people who ethically and successfully hunt with the .223 caliber, my fear is that anyone with an SA .223 will now think that they should deer hunt with it, because they legally can. Most factory ammunition for .223 is ideal for varmints, not deer/bear. I think this will lead to more non-fatally injured animals, or more animals that are mortally wounded, but run off and are not found. Just my .02. Thanks

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #6 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesDad View Post
My case against is this:

The vast majority of semi auto rifles out there are chambered in 5.56/.223. While I do believe that there are people who ethically and successfully hunt with the .223 caliber, my fear is that anyone with an SA .223 will now think that they should deer hunt with it, because they legally can. Most factory ammunition for .223 is ideal for varmints, not deer/bear. I think this will lead to more non-fatally injured animals, or more animals that are mortally wounded, but run off and are not found. Just my .02. Thanks
This right here is the only argument against it that logically makes sense.
Muzz, hawker, thinman and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr25 View Post
This right here is the only argument against it that logically makes sense.
That is the biggest reason why I support the idea of and hope that they enact a caliber restriction for big game animals.
Muzz and Marcus99 like this.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #8 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Part of the Community

I plan on hunting with either my .300 AAC Blackout upper or a new LR308 build I'm starting. Ballistically .300 AAC is similar to 7.62x39 or 30-30. It really shines when used with a sound suppressor.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #9 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

a suppressor does not make any caliber "shine" any more than a scope does. For a suppressor to truly shine the caliber must be loaded to subsonic velocities. Then in my opinion is not truly a big game load. No way comparable to a 30-30 or 308.
post #10 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm torn on the idea. I anticipate problems with people firing risky/careless follow-up shots. I also see it as unnecessary since animals can be taken just as well with manual weapons.

On the flip side, I tend to favor less goverment regulation and hunters being trusted to exercise good sense. A couple idiots could ruin it for everyone (or harm or kill someone) so I hope everybody exercises good judgement. That is true of any firearm though. I am pretty much on the fence.

One reason that I think (conspiracy theory warning) there is a push to legalize semi-autos for hunting is to normalize them in people's minds and further blur the definition of an assault rifle. It could further a gun rights agenda to be able to point out that AR-15s, etc., are common hunting rifles. There may be a benefit to that. There is also a risk, though, that it negatively affects public perception of hunters when they are seen carrying "machine guns."

It's a tough call either way in my opinion. However, in my mind, a tie should go to less restriction. If there is no compelling reason to preclude it, a free country should allow it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page