Elk - McKean County Big Buck Data - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By R. S. B.
  • 1 Post By R. S. B.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Elk - McKean County Big Buck Data

Over the past dozen years the local News Paper has hosted a big buck contest for Elk and McKean County. I have been recording all of the harvests since the first year and thought some people might find it interesting. Before I post the results though there are a few things I think should be noted.

During the early years many people didn't enter their bucks because they didn't think they would be a winner. But that has changed over the years because they have a category that can win for the smallest buck and a random drawing that any buck entered can win plus they host a banquet at the end where everyone who entered a buck can get a free meal and eligible for other random prizes. That makes it worthwhile for anyone who harvests a buck to enter. They have also added both a mentor youth and junior license holder portion to the contest and so that draws in some of the smaller protected category bucks. Those are reasons why the first few years the number of points average was higher and also why some years they have had a higher percentage of smaller bucks that wouldn't be legal for adult hunters. For those reasons not many conclusions can be drawn and the data is just something to show some trends.

Year..............# entered..........Aver. # points...............% 8 or more points..................% with fewer than 5 points
2005..................53....................9.321. ..........................90.57 %......................................0.00 %
2006..................87....................8.874. ..........................88.51 %......................................3.45 %
2007..................61....................9.098. ..........................91.80 %......................................3.28 %
2008..................88....................8.886. ..........................85.23 %......................................2.27 %
2009..................70....................8.700. ..........................81.43 %......................................1.43 %
2010..................71....................8.732. ..........................85.92 %......................................1.41 %
2011.................133...................8.549.. .........................80.45 %......................................4.51 %
2012.................142...................8.641.. .........................80.99 %......................................1.41 %
2013.................113...................8.425.. .........................79.65 %......................................6.19 %
2014.................121...................8.711.. .........................81.82 %......................................2.48 %
2015.................148...................8.135.. .........................72.30 %.....................................10.81 %
2016.................194...................8.670.. .........................80.41 %......................................3.61 %

From this, and everyone entering being eligible to win some big prizes, it appears the average buck being harvested today, at least in this big woods country, is an eight point with a far number being even larger than eight points.

Dick Bodenhorn
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Definitely some big buck being harvested up there.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

How did they score for biggest bucks? Was it B&C score? Or just points and/or spread. Our local big buck contest are points and spread. So, the biggest buck doesn't always win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My buddy runs a lease in McKean and gets tons of pictures every year of bucks in the 125 to 140's range. Pretty impressive for deer that mainly only have browse to feed on.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
How did they score for biggest bucks? Was it B&C score? Or just points and/or spread. Our local big buck contest are points and spread. So, the biggest buck doesn't always win.
I think it is points plus spread plus beam length. The problem is they have multiple places you can take them and I guess anyone there can measure them. They don’t all do it the same way from what I have seen. In fact the last one I entered I had to show the lady how to measure the spread and beam length. They also just take your word for what should be a point instead of using a standard point measurement. I suspect at some point they are going to have someone throw a fit about not winning unless, and maybe they do, have someone who actually does measure the ones in close contention to see who the real official winner is.

Dick Bodenhorn
bigguy54 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
and maybe they do, have someone who actually does measure the ones in close contention to see who the real official winner is.
That makes sense. I'm sure there are a ton of bucks that do not need to be measured. A 15 inch 7-pointer need not be measured (scored) if there is already a 150-class 10-pointer in the running. But, there are probably a bunch of 20-plus inch 8-pointers. Tine length and mass would be the difference in these bucks.

These would be the idea platforms to put in place the water displacement method of measuring antlers. This would give credit for every ounce of bone the buck grows.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Dick, do you have an idea what date the newspaper puts out the special insert with all the entries and winners?

It usually takes a 170" gross deer to be in the running for the big prize package. A couple of those winners have been 200" non-typicals, including Joe Dellaquila's buck from 2010 and Mike Beatty's double droptine buck last year. Google these deer! You won't believe they are big woods PA bucks. There is an article about Mike's deer in the Dec/Jan 2017 North American Whitetail magazine.

I guess the contest's weird scoring system has to be simple enough for all the clerks at the check-in businesses to come up with a number. Can you imagine how big a pain it would be to have all those employees learn to score via B&C method? I would think that if 2 deer are really close, they could re-measure with a panel of the organizers or something.

The banquet is a really nice cabin-fever reducer and meal. They encourage everyone to bring their antlers to the dinner. They give you 2 tickets to the banquet when you enter a deer. I enter any old buck I kill so I can take my young son to the banquet, see some unbelievable bucks and socialize with all the deer hunters. It's pretty impressive to see the tables with all the big racks from Northcentral PA. I estimate that there were at least 15 racks over 150" on hand, and some other really odd/unique antlers. I try to congratulate all the young kids who bring their racks, regardless of size. Gotta keep them going to the woods.

Big Mike
I Love Animals, They're Delicious!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Dick, do you have an idea what date the newspaper puts out the special insert with all the entries and winners?

It usually takes a 170" gross deer to be in the running for the big prize package. A couple of those winners have been 200" non-typicals, including Joe Dellaquila's buck from 2010 and Mike Beatty's double droptine buck last year. Google these deer! You won't believe they are big woods PA bucks. There is an article about Mike's deer in the Dec/Jan 2017 North American Whitetail magazine.

I guess the contest's weird scoring system has to be simple enough for all the clerks at the check-in businesses to come up with a number. Can you imagine how big a pain it would be to have all those employees learn to score via B&C method? I would think that if 2 deer are really close, they could re-measure with a panel of the organizers or something.

The banquet is a really nice cabin-fever reducer and meal. They encourage everyone to bring their antlers to the dinner. They give you 2 tickets to the banquet when you enter a deer. I enter any old buck I kill so I can take my young son to the banquet, see some unbelievable bucks and socialize with all the deer hunters. It's pretty impressive to see the tables with all the big racks from Northcentral PA. I estimate that there were at least 15 racks over 150" on hand, and some other really odd/unique antlers. I try to congratulate all the young kids who bring their racks, regardless of size. Gotta keep them going to the woods.
The recap, winners and all entry pictures were in Wednesday’s new paper.

I agree on the banquet, I too have attended some of them. It is a good evening.

I also agree that they should have a more structured measurement on any bucks that are close in the scores of the various people measuring before declaring the winners. Maybe they do, I don’t know.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page