The woods will be tough today ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

The woods will be tough today !

To walk in the woods today you will need ice grippers and not go down hill. Around here anyways?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Not that bad here in 1B. Snow is just super crunchy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

not out today was out last night thinking they be up on their feet to feed,,, but NOoooooooooooooo! even had a lite snow to see right up to shooting hour..

they are yarded up on my neighbor's property. life time PETA member... oh well.. be warmer day on Thursday ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

It ended up being a lot warmer than expected today down in SEPA. The cloud cover made it feel downright toasty in the blind!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

pretty nice weather for the ending week... I didn't see a buck to touch my renegade but saw a few deer. done chasing them, now it's time for me to pull them thru the winter.. give those moms a good start.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Sage

Woods were like a bowl of tater chips Saturday. Headed out to a spot where deer almost always travel through late in the day, but nothing stirring this time. Great year, had lots of fun. Saw deer in different places in archery and rifle up at camp and kicked out a few in flinter season, here at home.

Minimal ammo cost this year, no lost arrows.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Took about a 3 hr. walk/crawl yesterday on what used to be an open roadbed. It's now basically a deer trail thru multi-flora rose, bittersweet vines, and black birch/junk trees. Every so often the it would open into one of those flat grassy areas. Rubs all over in these spots. Lots of big rubs on big trees and old scrapes from the rut. Places where other roadbeds came up over and joined the one I was on were full of rubs. It would be a challenge to rifle hunt in that jungle. I kept looking for any kind of decent trees. Most were draped in vines and/or scrub trees. There was one ladder stand close to parking area end. A 5 gal. bucket was tucked into a cubbyhole by a tree near the end where the woods started opening up. I'll be checking this area out again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Sage

Maybe ten years ago I cut some primitive trails in the woods at camp, just big enough to get an ATV around the place for some firewood gathering, shooting lane clearing near deer stands and general access.

Later made the trails a bit wider, so I could get around on them with a small tractor. Most of the trails are at least 7' wide now. All the small trees that were cut to widen trails became camp firewood, so that worked out well in both regards.

While "natural" deer trails abound in those woods, especially thru the thicker stuff, deer began using my trails within the first year of clearing them out. Deer now travel most of them on a regular basis, judging by the number of tracks and my observations of deer movements.

Wasn't the reason I cut the trails, but it has paid unexpected dividends.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

I shot at a nice doe Saturday evening. Spent the remaining minutes of daylight looking for it. Spent the better park of the morning yesterday out looking too. Was very slippery in the ice covered hills. Never did find that doe. I'll be out this week to try again. Hoping my sinus infection is cleared up by then,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page