Hunters around the country grapple with deer limits - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Hunters around the country grapple with deer limits

and how much is too much.

I seem to notice PA is not the only state to wonder if limits and seasons on antlerless deer have gotten too liberal.

Anyway just my observations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Sage

Been grappling with the issue in PA since the beginning of the 20th century.

The history and actions of the early GC is amazing in how the same issues are being discussed over a 100 years later.
casey likes this.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deer numbers, hunter numbers, habitat health, management goals, etc..... Always changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Banned

I personally don't understand why taking 1 buck and 1 doe per hunter per season is't enough for some people, but that's just my opinion.
bigguy54 and bucksnort1 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I personally don't understand why taking 1 buck and 1 doe per hunter per season is't enough for some people, but that's just my opinion.
I think the problem is that 20% of the hunters do 80% of the harvesting (made up numbers with no data to support FWIW). To limit all hunters to 2 deer a year would make hunters as a whole in effective at keeping the deer herd in check.

I personally don't see people getting extra doe tags to be greedy. If we were talking buck tags I'd say oh yeah. Doe tags though, not so much...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remember guys, we are a management TOOL. There is no right to hunt, nor should there be. If there was, and if for some reason the deer herd got decimated by disease, etc., we would STILL have a right to hunt, while hurting the long-term herd numbers even more. This is science-based management with a defined end-goal, as it should be, and not emotion-based, ie, "I want this or I want that" since everyone wants something different, and nobody pays attention to facts in those cases. Having the herds run by us that we saw in the 70's and 80's is not natural, nor healthy for the herd in many ways, nor the habitat. And it is just feeding false emotions that "I saw X deer today!". Wanna see herds of deer? Go to the zoo or some game farm. Watch those silly shows on TV. Nobody talked much about the winter kills we had back then on hard winters - ie, how many deer we lost to freezing to death with no browse in the northern mts especially. Hardly anybody even went and looked in Jan/Feb/March to see how many died so humans could just "see" a lot of deer. Nobody remembers the horrible browse lines in Potter County, etc that left deer with little food to survive on during hard winters up there. Nobody cared - they "saw" deer, so their emotions were fed, so they were happy, and thats all that mattered. If Alt's plan wouldn't have cut deer numbers the way they did, this EHD/CWD epidemics we've seen cropping up would have been WAY worse......but since it didnt happen here by and large, the naysayers will say it cant happen.

I haven't personally killed a deer in at least 5 yrs. But that's on me, not the PGC. I havent hunted very hard post-back and neck fusions - my issues, not the PGC's. We're doing flintlock drives on SGL's within 400 yds of a state highway and seeing several deer per day. My misfire, etc left me deerless again, but that's not on the PGC! LOL! I see WAY TOO many deer on posted land with neighboring and renting farmers getting angry cuz they're losing thousands of dollars a year night-feeding the falsified herds that the neighbors so vehemently "protect" so they can say "Look at me, I have deer!"

Point - they are out there in numbers in areas that you are not hunting. Go hunt. Quit demanding that the hunt come to you and your stump.
DennyF, R. S. B., bigguy54 and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by holedigger View Post
Remember guys, we are a management TOOL. There is no right to hunt, nor should there be. If there was, and if for some reason the deer herd got decimated by disease, etc., we would STILL have a right to hunt, while hurting the long-term herd numbers even more. This is science-based management with a defined end-goal, as it should be, and not emotion-based, ie, "I want this or I want that" since everyone wants something different, and nobody pays attention to facts in those cases. Having the herds run by us that we saw in the 70's and 80's is not natural, nor healthy for the herd in many ways, nor the habitat. And it is just feeding false emotions that "I saw X deer today!". Wanna see herds of deer? Go to the zoo or some game farm. Watch those silly shows on TV. Nobody talked much about the winter kills we had back then on hard winters - ie, how many deer we lost to freezing to death with no browse in the northern mts especially. Hardly anybody even went and looked in Jan/Feb/March to see how many died so humans could just "see" a lot of deer. Nobody remembers the horrible browse lines in Potter County, etc that left deer with little food to survive on during hard winters up there. Nobody cared - they "saw" deer, so their emotions were fed, so they were happy, and thats all that mattered. If Alt's plan wouldn't have cut deer numbers the way they did, this EHD/CWD epidemics we've seen cropping up would have been WAY worse......but since it didnt happen here by and large, the naysayers will say it cant happen.

I haven't personally killed a deer in at least 5 yrs. But that's on me, not the PGC. I havent hunted very hard post-back and neck fusions - my issues, not the PGC's. We're doing flintlock drives on SGL's within 400 yds of a state highway and seeing several deer per day. My misfire, etc left me deerless again, but that's not on the PGC! LOL! I see WAY TOO many deer on posted land with neighboring and renting farmers getting angry cuz they're losing thousands of dollars a year night-feeding the falsified herds that the neighbors so vehemently "protect" so they can say "Look at me, I have deer!"

Point - they are out there in numbers in areas that you are not hunting. Go hunt. Quit demanding that the hunt come to you and your stump.
I'm from the city and what pushed me to learn to hunt was seeing the browse lines in the protected natural areas right within the city limits. I hunt a protected wetland suburban property with fresh tracks everywhere all over the property every single day. I live a short walk from the Philly subway and there are deer tracks on my lawn sometimes. We need more hunters - or just more people, in general - willing to see themselves as part of the wildlife management end of things with deer, I agree.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holedigger View Post
Remember guys, we are a management TOOL.
^This^

Too many hunters today don't know that, or care about that. Once we lose sight of this fact, we lose support from the general public. We also need to do a lot more to emphasise this fact about why we hunt. True antis are always going to be just that. But if we emphasise the importance of herd management and the benefits of hunters towards it, we keep support from the general public. When the emphasis is on "got'er done" or "big buck down", we lose some of that support.

I'm in no means trying to take away from the traditions, challenge and enjoyment of what we do. I believe, though, that we need to put the emphasis on what will keep that support.
loridr and tdd like this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
2 or 3 a year for me is plenty. But some guys feed their family venison all year long.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:

That is why in some areas in Pa they issue a lot of doe tags. A lot of deer are shot by the minority and in areas they need thinning. In the SRA's, deer are not scarce, the places they hole up in are. But in my opinion, Pa should be an "earn a buck" state. But just my opinion.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page