Hunting Private Property - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Exclamation Hunting Private Property

Here's a thought for us all: How many of us actually end up trespassing onto private property without even knowing it? I mean, just because the land isn't POSTED doesn't mean it's not private property.... Do most of us even actually know who's land we hunt on half the time?
I ask this because thanks to a discussion on Facebook yesterday, I went on the site www.onXmaps.com just to try and find out who the landowners are to some of the areas that i'd like to hunt. Amazingly, it shows property lines and even gives you the landowners names.
After looking for a few min. I decided to take a look at what I thought was just state owned land that I've hunted for a few years. And holy cow, The truth is, I've actually been hunting on over 6 different properties! Granted, these properties have been open to hunting for as long back as anyone can remember - but it truly is information that I feel all hunters should know.
Use the 7 day free trial and look up your hunting areas. You may just be surprised what you find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:12 AM
The Man

I pretty much hunt all public ground for deer. I make it a point to know where I'm allowed and where I'm not.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:20 AM
The Man

I hunt co-op property and flood control property. Signs are everywhere so I always know the ground I am on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

True. But being "Allowed" to hunt a location isn't always the same as knowing who owns the land.... I know that i'm allowed to hunt the areas I've always hunted, I've actually spoken with many landowners (while on their property) without even knowing it. But it just amazed me to realize that I wasn't hunting where I thought I was!
Here's an example: My one location is in the ANF, and I've hunted it for years. I park outside a gated road that has signs that say "Welcome and Hunt Safely" - What I never realized is that once you walk back that road a quarter mile, it crosses into someone's private property. No signs, Nothing......
I'm not suggesting that anyone is doing anything wrong, It's just something that I found to be shocking when I checked it out yesterday. And I thought i'd share it so others could see their areas as well. Because up till yesterday I never even knew that any sites like that even existed. So perhaps this can help out other hunters as well.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:58 AM

Last year at the Harrisburg sport show, I bought the Pennsylvania micro sd card for my garmin gps from onXmaps. Used it for the first time this year and I have to say that a most of the info on it is correct, but there was some areas that im familiar with that weren't right or up to date like they claim. Now my buddy has about 18 acres, and when I used it, most of it was real close to the boundaries they show, but some spots weren't so close and I was actually trespassing. Overall I am very satisfied with it, but when I go back this year I do have a few questions for them.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I doubt that any GPS devise will be perfect... and i'm not using it to find the exact boundaries. I'm mostly using it just to find out who owns some of the different land that i'm interested in hunting. So now I can contact them about getting permission to hunt there.
For most I figure i'll try and look up their phone #'s and call them first: basically introduce myself and let them know that i'd like to speak with them about the possibility of gaining permission to hunt their property. ( that way i'm not some strange guy just driving up to their home ).
I figure that if they grant me permission, then I can speak with them about the exact property lines.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Maybe once technology like this becomes more accurate and common, it could shift the responsibility from the land owner onto the land user. Maybe it could even become a tool that law enforcement could use in their enforcement of trespass.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I walk up a power line to access the back side of the private property I have permission to hunt. I grew up right across the street on the front side of the property. I've hunted on this property for 45 years. This year (first time in 45 years) a guy is standing on the power line and stops me. No signs anywhere and there have never been any signs. He said I was trespassing. I told him I thought the power line was an easement. Guy gets smart because I asked a question and said the owner has given the power company the easement not me. The owner was paying him to run people off, and because I questioned him I could be arrested for defiant trespass. After I told him he better quit swinging his gun around using it as a pointer, because I felt threatened, he started talking like a normal person. I didn't have a dog in the fight the guy was right. I backed out and walked in through the woods on the other side of the power line. Only took 45 years for someone to tell me I was trespassing and I didn't even know it. I'll walk the woods in or front side from now on.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM
The Man

Due to a suggestion on another thread, I checked, and my county has a map with the same info. Property lines and owners listed. The only info not there is the owners address if they don't reside on the listed property. Still, a lot of good info for avoiding conflict and gaining permission.

wish you were smarter.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:49 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I walk up a power line to access the back side of the private property I have permission to hunt. I grew up right across the street on the front side of the property. I've hunted on this property for 45 years. This year (first time in 45 years) a guy is standing on the power line and stops me. No signs anywhere and there have never been any signs. He said I was trespassing. I told him I thought the power line was an easement. Guy gets smart because I asked a question and said the owner has given the power company the easement not me. The owner was paying him to run people off, and because I questioned him I could be arrested for defiant trespass. After I told him he better quit swinging his gun around using it as a pointer, because I felt threatened, he started talking like a normal person. I didn't have a dog in the fight the guy was right. I backed out and walked in through the woods on the other side of the power line. Only took 45 years for someone to tell me I was trespassing and I didn't even know it. I'll walk the woods in or front side from now on.
I know a lot of people think that power lines are open to all, but what you said is correct; the easement only applies to the power company. That said, perhaps you could simply ask the owners permission to use it to access the area you already have permission to hunt? I ran into a very similar situation this year, and the owner graciously is allowing me to use a trail on their property to access the SGL I want to hunt. While not giving me permission to hunt his property, he also will allow me to retrieve a deer on his ground should the situation occur. Respect all around works wonders.
Laylow likes this.

wish you were smarter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page