Big 12-point buck found dead; rack confiscated - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Big 12-point buck found dead; rack confiscated

Thought you folks on here might like to see this.... Hunter finds dead buck with massive 12-point antlers in Lancaster County | Local News | lancasteronline.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice buck. It's too bad the government stole the rack from the guy who found it.
buzz, gditys, BBB and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage View Post
Nice buck. It's too bad the government stole the rack from the guy who found it.
It wasn't "stolen".........the hunter didn't follow the proper procedure. Next time, follow the rules.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:47 PM
The Man

Nice buck. I know that I, for one, will sleep better tonight knowing the PGC tracked down this guy and got those horns............

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great buck and it's a shame a hunter did not harvest it. Rules are rules and for 120 bucks the hunter could have had a nice set of antlers. I think most people aren't willing to pay for antlers if they did not harvest the deer.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would like input on that rule from someone with more knowledge on it than myself. Why does the game commission charge money for antlers on a dead buck but you can go shed hunting. What's the difference if there attached to the animal or not?
gditys, BBB and donegaldestroyer like this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #7 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM

The difference is the law allows people to keep NATURALLY SHED antlers they find. The law doesn't not allow for people to keep antlers from deer that were killed by vehicles or that are found dead. It is that way so people don't intentionally kill them just for the antlers.

I know most people wouldn't do that, but there are also plenty who would. I watched guys running them down their big brush guard protected truck one night. Another guy who, after I caught and prosecuted for several bucks he had killed and cut the heads or in many cases just the antlers off of, admitted that he had killed 34 bucks for their antlers in the two or three weeks before I caught him. He also told me that the guy he learned it from typically killed around a hundred bucks per year just for the antlers. There is no question in my mind that people of that mindset would think nothing of shooting big bucks just so they could go back later, claim they found it dead and recover the antlers.

The way this law is written it is unlawful for ANYONE to keep antlers from a deer or elk unless they were naturally shed. Naturally shed antlers are discarded by an animal that is still alive and ready produce a new set of antlers the next year so there is not threat to the future of our wildlife resources when someone takes a natural shed antler home.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So guys that would illegally shoot a buck for its antlers won't because they are not allowed to keep the antlers?
buzz and mooneydw like this.
post #9 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Part of the Community

I know I will be really Bashed by every one on here for this. I'm 80 years old and didn't know of this law till about 8 to 10 years ago. Up to that time any dead Buck with a nice Rack I found I made it a point go back and get the Horns.

I would Admit being an Atheist before I Admit being a Democrat or a Republican.
post #10 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage View Post
So guys that would illegally shoot a buck for its antlers won't because they are not allowed to keep the antlers?

No I believe it is so they can be prosecuted for all of the dead heads that are found in their possession and assumed to be poached.
ShedSeeker likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page