Extend Archery Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Extend Archery Season

Rifle deer season is dying, probably as the old guard is aging and stopping hunting. I will predict that as archery continues to grow the season will remain open from the current start straight through the end of January. With few hunting rifle season the resource will not be hampered and the population will need to be control by those that still hunt.

Anyone agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would agree that this seems to be the trend. But, an even stronger trend is hunter ranks are shrinking across the board. Hard to say what hunter numbers will be in 10 years and what the PGC will do to manage under different numbers. Who knows, maybe more gun opportunities.

Look at other states with smaller populations. They have longer seasons in general. Start earlier, end later. They have muzzle loader seasons where you can shoot buck or doe and you can use a scoped in-line. Other states have rifle hunts during the rut.

So, as our ranks shrink, we may actually see more gun seasons.
bad primer and whil e kioti like this.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:16 PM

As we lose deer hunters, opportunities will have to increase to reach management goals.My favorite season is archery season. With that said, archery hunters have had a lot of bones thrown their way over the years. If opportunity exists to expand a deer season, I would prefer the rifle folks get some extra time to hunt. The season could be expanded a week in some WMUs, I feel.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM
The Man

Would also be nice to see ML hunters get a earlier season, for both buck/doe. I would be in favor of letting flint lock guys hunt the last week of archery season.

What ever the PGC chooses, I do agree that in the coming years, they will probably need to offer some additional opportunity so for those who still hunt. It may be 5 years away, maybe 10..........but I agree that day is coming.
Probably additional tag opportunities as well.
cspot, whil e kioti and clova like this.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

buzz, you took the words right out of my mouth, ML is a very small group and as it stands now, only gets the crumbs. No worry allowing them an early opportunity. I am still skeptical that adding more time to rifle will bring the boots back to the woods. For me, I only hunted rifle before crossbows became legal and this gave me an opportunity to hunt as long hours of practice with a vertical bow held me back. In fact I know many rifle hunters who now hunt archery for the same reason. I am of the opinion that the rifle participation decline is simply a migration of many rifle hunters to archery with the crossbow legalize. And that makes since. Why hunt rifle buck with 40% harvested when one could hunt the 100% population. No brain'er and it's 6 weeks which allows a lot more time to hunt.
buzz likes this.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeinchmag View Post
I could see it in the more populated areas of private land but not in most big woods at this time.

Why not the big woods? Hardly anyone archery hunt the big woods, not impacted at all. What is your concern?
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:54 PM
The Man

It would work if they treated it like the special regs areas.Add where the deer populations won't be impacted in a negative way.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clova View Post
Rifle deer season is dying, probably as the old guard is aging and stopping hunting. I will predict that as archery continues to grow the season will remain open from the current start straight through the end of January.

Anyone agree?
Nope. Latest stats show (2015) 935,146 total licenses sold with 750,000 (est) taking part in the rifle season. How does that show rifle season is "dying"?

Hunting License Sales Report

750,000 deer hunters expected in Pennsylvania's woods on Monday: Deer hunting 2015 | PennLive.com

There are problems with rifle season but a longer archery season is not the answer. Expand "geezer" season for the whole week, give the black powder shooters an early season too.
whil e kioti likes this.

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As a predominant rifle hunter that when possible may get in some ML season in. I have no desire what so ever to archery hunt not even with a crossbow. Archers have what 6 week early season, the 2 weeks during rifle they can bow hunt then what 3 weeks post Christmas? ML get 6 weeks and pay the same for their tags? I am one that believes the popularity of archery is related to, length of season, time of year, during the rut. As a scenario change archery to the 2 weeks that are typically rifle season and after a couple years see how many archers you have. I as one vote believe the archers have been given plenty now it is the riflemans turn.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Part of the Community

In the next 10 years pa will be a 2 buck state. You will have to kill one of those bucks with a primitive weapon and the price of your muzzleloader or archery tags will go up alot. Game commission needs more money and the hunters are disappearing. This is a way that everybody wins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page