Taken on a tour of some land/5 years ago. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By triggercreep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Taken on a tour of some land/5 years ago.

I was talking to a fellow about deer hunting. He says to me he wants to show me the land he has permission to hunt. This was 5 years back.
We road around for at lest an hour thru woods trail and fields in a Mule! It was mostly crop fields. Deer were and i am not stretching the truth,everywhere? It was like 15 here in a field then down thru the woods road another field with maybe 20. By the end of the ride i had seen about 90 deer. Does and bucks of all size racks!
I can't say just how much acreage we covered but it was a lot? 4 or 5 farms? We got back to the one barn where the Mule is kept and put it away.
Man i am in amazement how many bucks i has seen. So i say to him "Can i come and hunt here with you ?" THE REPLY: :"The owner only let a few guys hunt here,may 10 people. You can't come here." "Besides ,we only shoot the big 8 points or better and don't shoot the does!"
Well i held my tongue because i want to say "What did you bring out here for if i have no chance of hunting here?" But i didn't say a thing! If wanted to see deer i could go to a deer farm?
I seen him after the first week of Buck was over and 2 days of antler less had started after 5 years.
They still only let the same guys hunt there but now they are shooting every thing they have tags for and this isn't putting a dent in the deer that are there and they have more deer meat than they can handle!
I ask him why they changed their rules on these farms ?
Turns out that there are so many there that the farmers had,as near as they can figure,a $12,000 lose in corn and soy bean harvest!!!!!!!!!!!!
They still won't let any body,even friends of the guys that hunt there,hunt on their ground?????
I can see this becoming an area for CWD or some other sickness to start up?

WILLY P

Last edited by casey; 12-20-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Swearing is not allowed on HPA please reread the rules you agreed to when you join the site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:23 PM

I don't pity any farmer who cries about crop damage but will not allow adequate hunting.
willyp, Muzz and Gamer_1 like this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 AM
New Arrival

Out of curiosity, any chance of you talking to the farmer(s) yourself? It wouldnt be hard to imagine for someone to embellish the facts to keep others out of "his" honey hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Gamer. Not a chance! The like head farmer has a this is my "Kingdom" complex! He loves the authority over all this!
He farms for a hobby and has a very good job,from what i hear,his end of year bonus is more than iv'e ever made in one year!
Good luck to them.
I will wait and see how much they lose in crops next fall.

WILLY P
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, they bought the land and they can do whatever they want (within the law). Sounds like they are not managing it the best way they could, but that's on them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like they're having a great time. Unsure of why he'd show you around. Maybe he wanted to just show the average Joe what could be accomplished with some management or maybe he just wanted to rub your nose in it. Hard to say.

A $12K lose for 4-5 farms seems pretty standard for deer rich environments and if anything, it's on the low end of the spectrum. You said he does the farming as a hobby so I really doubt he cares much and probably does the majority of the farming for the deer anyway.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

WILLY P

Last edited by casey; 12-24-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: questioning moderators should be done via pm. thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page