Blood Tracking Light - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Blood Tracking Light

What light do you guys like to carry with you for blood trail tracking in lw light/dark? I had to track 2 deer this year in the dark (Both in archery season gave them time to expire before trailing, etc) and I've like using my Ryobi 18v Incandescent light the best, but its a little bulky to carry all the time. I've used my dad's Primos blood tracker and a Browning model similar that have the Red/Green/Blue lights and have also tried LED flashlights and for me I can't pick up the blood as easily with those lights. Does anyone make a nice small compact incandescent flash light that would be easy to carry?

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use Fenix lights. They have models that run on AA's, which are easy and cheaper to get, and I carry a ziplock bag with spares to put if/as needed. They're small and bright, which is all I want. I don't use the blood lights. I just want a nice bright light that's not a boat anchor to drag around.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IMO The best tracking light is a Coleman two mantel propane light. They aren't compact but I haven't found a better hand held light for following a blood trail. They are great for field dressing after you find your deer too.
ShedSeeker likes this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

I carry a good headlamp and a single AAA Streamlight and have had good success I also have one of those bloodtracking lights but have never really used it
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 AM

I don't carry a blood tracking light with me but I may pick up one for next season. The Primos Bloodhunter looks pretty good.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I prefer a good, bright white light. Used to use a Coleman lantern but these new bright flashlights are great. I have come to the conclusion that everyone's eyes are different because I can hardly see blood at all with those "Blood Tracker" lights.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM

I bought a Husky 500 Lumen flashlight from HD this year and it is very bright. It's a little heavier but not bad. I have a backpack full of junk so what's the difference. For $19.99 I'm very happy with it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:35 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a Primos blood light. I took it and a regular flashlight out to track a deer this year. We knew where there was a nice pool of blood where the deer bedded. I shined the Primos blood light right on the blood and it didn't make it any easier to see. If anything, it showed up better with the regular flashlight. Not sure if that's just due to me being a certain level of color blind? Or it just stinks for everyone. Not worth its weight in my pocket.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Those blood tracker lights got bad reviews right after they started selling them. Any good bright white light does a good job. I've used Coleman lantern with a shield on the back and white led lights.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Part of the Community

I am color blind. Reds blend in with browns. With that said I used the Primos Bloodtracker flashlight. I easily tracked a doe about 100yds this year. I could see every pin drop of blood. I cannot do that without that light. In fact even in daytime I cannot see the blood without being on hands and knees. I think its because it changes the leaves to a light blue purplish color and I am not colorblind to that. Blood still looked red.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page