Moving deer without tagging - Page 11 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Could you point in the direction of that law or regulation? You can't dump carcass or parts in a DMA. But I thought you could dispose of a carcass on a SGL outside of a DMA. I could be wrong but I couldn't find anything in the book regarding disposing of a carcass outside of a DMA.
Sorry, I can't. I recall reading it in the digest years ago (maybe it was a press release?). I know nothing of the rules of these DMA areas either as I'm not in or even near one.

I'm certain the PGC has mentioned this sometime and somewhere in the past. I'll try and dig it up. If anyone else knows where it is, by all means, post it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM

This is honestly the best I can find! It's not much....

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/27-h...-township.html
post #103 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 PM

Here it is in it's original form....not much help either.

http://www.envirothonpa.org/documents/miscellaneous.pdf

I can't find an actual law that says you can't dump carcasses on your own private land (farmers do it all the time with dead cows, for instance). Dumping them on public lands 'may' be considered littering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
Here it is in it's original form....not much help either.

http://www.envirothonpa.org/documents/miscellaneous.pdf

I can't find an actual law that says you can't dump carcasses on your own private land (farmers do it all the time with dead cows, for instance). Dumping them on public lands 'may' be considered littering?
I wasnt looking to be difficult, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I remember reading that it was OK to dump carcasses on public SGL's etc but that was a few years ago. I cant seem to find any verbiage in the current digest that says either way. I am guessing the verbiage that used to be in the digest was removed to prevent confusion when the DMA rules were added. It doesn't matter much to me either way since I bag and put the the carcass out with the trash. I know plenty of people that dump the carcass on the SGL's by me. Outside of the DMA I doubt it is a big deal.
post #105 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

This is a really useful thread! I realized today that my zip ties were misplaced and separated from my field bag last season (I moved in January). I was out for deer and wondering what I would improvise to fill out the tag. I've never gotten a deer, either, and did not realize that the township needed to be filled out, too. I hunt suburbia and have no idea what township the property is located in. Need to get organized!
post #106 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
You're not allowed to dump a carcass or parts on public land. You can toss that carcass on your own property or any private land you have permission though.
If your way back in on state or private u can do your entire butchering job there, deboning meat and bringing meat and head. Is there any difference? I really would not care to just pull up and throw out carcass anywhere on state ground even if it was legal. I hunt in a DMA and just take the so called parts to there dumpster. I don't really care to have the crap on my property legal or not. I went to an actual CWD meeting in fall of 15 the PGC put on. I don't want to tell you what to do in case I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me. I thought a WCO speaking that night said leaving a carcass or parts was not littering. I could be wrong but I don't think I dreamed it though. If you find out let me know. I used to in the day would just bring my in used parts home with me and just sit out for garbage pick up. Even though I own around 40 acres didn't really care to have those things scattered on my property.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #107 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyFam View Post
This is a really useful thread! I realized today that my zip ties were misplaced and separated from my field bag last season (I moved in January). I was out for deer and wondering what I would improvise to fill out the tag. I've never gotten a deer, either, and did not realize that the township needed to be filled out, too. I hunt suburbia and have no idea what township the property is located in. Need to get organized!
I use US Topo Map app on the phone to figure out the county/township when hunting. Sometimes I am close to county borders. It makes figuring out the township much easier.
post #108 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 PM

A very interesting thread. I will add this. If I shoot a buck that is going to be mounted, no way am I cutting a hole in the ear. The tag is going to be filled in, zip tied and then possibly Saran-wrapped around the antler. It will not come off that way no matter what you drag it through.

I get the idea behind filling in the tag and then tagging the deer before moving it. It helps prevent illegal activity.

And as R.S.B said way back in the thread, he was looking for the deer to be tagged, if it was on the antler or ear.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #109 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I put the tag inside fold over the ear and zip tie it shut
post #110 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Years ago, I once shot a doe. I tagged and gutted it, then dragged it to the vehicle. I sat there and waited for my father and buddy to finish hunting. About an hour latter a guy walked up and tapped on the window. Here he followed my drag marks on his way out. He handed me my tag. He found it. It seems it came off and I never knew. Good thing a WCO didn't drive by to check!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page