2016 Deer Season Review - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

2016 Deer Season Review

I know the season isn't quite over yet, but the bulk of it is, and so I'm looking for opinions on how hunters think this 2016-17 deer season went in PA.....Archery, early muzzleloader and gun. We all live in different bubbles, so what was the season like in your bubble? Lots of sightings and kills? The opposite? Did you see many hunters out hunting? If you'd care to share, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunt mainly public hunting areas one of which is vast and lower deer numbers than other parts of state I have hunted .I wish I kept track of the miles and $'s spent on gas traveling to hunting spots.Way too many! I prefer Archery hunting and spend a fair amount of time scouting.This year was different from others for some reason?Took the first and last week of Archery off and did see some deer and had acouple shot opportunities on doe and some near opportunities on two buck and acouple of those opportunities were on a small private property I was invited to hunt at short notice.My go to Rut spot seemed very slow to say the least.No roaming seen really.First two days of gun season I did see a doe and three buck and one buck on day two.None were legal in 2A zone.The first day of either sex deer was poor and failed to get my daughter a sighting and a shot at her first deer in what usually harbors good numbers and the SGL's there were crowded on Saturday and shooting was a fraction compared to last year for some reason.I am still plugging away and hope for more opportunites and hope to get my daughter a shot on private ground Saturday morning.Thats my season so far.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Archery season was great! Shot a doe early on and an 8 point at the end of October. All reports I'm getting from rifle season indicate are pretty quiet.

Something is always given in nature, never taken...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:45 PM

My early muzzleloader season went well. Lot of sign in the area. Only saw one (button buck) and got it so it ended my season early. Did not hunt the rifle season. Looking forward to heading to the same area for flintlock season for a few days. Don't know how they did in the area during rifle, don't know anyone that hunts there anymore, so have not heard. hoping they left me one lil legal buck

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Low deer numbers this rifle season in 2A.

Very few shots heard.

Hope others are seeing lots more deer.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 PM

For Archery I took 5 other hunters with me to private land I have permission to hunt in 3C and we took 3 buck and 2 doe off that property the week before elections. For rifle we hunted home here in 3D and ended out the first week with another buck and I filled a DMAP tag on Dec 3rd.
I still have my buck tag and another 3C doe tag which I will use for late season archery.
There are still on that property a 11, 2 nice 10"s and several 8 points running around., so I am hoping to use a buck tag then.
In the 3 years going to 3C this was the most productive for us and I wanted to rest this place so we skipped rifle season but here in 3D it was the worst I have seen in many years.
The amount of hunters was few and far between and I bet all week I didn't hear 35 shots. I know the 3 days of rain and then the winds didn't help any but not sure if it was the lack of deer that had so few hunting or the fact doe didn't open till last Saturday.
There are deer here but it was definitely a down year yet someone must feel there are to many deer since they issued so many DMAP tags.
Maybe its time to sub-divide the WMU's to put more hunters where deer are and maybe not issue doe tags for a season or 2 where the numbers are way down.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM
New Arrival

Couldn't agree more...DMAP tags are the worst thing ever created and the fact that these tag holders can in fact shoot does the first week in 3d is a joke
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its been a good season so far, really enjoyed it. Tagged an 8 pointer last Friday and helped my buddy get a doe too. Heading out Saturday to try to fill my doe tag. Hunted mostly in 5C but also 3D, seen deer both places. My buck was in 5C, in my favorite spot.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am in the woods almost everyday from the start of archery and will continue through late season using a bow. I shot a 10 point on September 30th in Ohio so all my time was devoted to hunting Pa. I had high hopes all season and had located several big mature bucks. Just had one of those years where I would zig and the bucks would zag. Bowhunting is all about picking the right tree and this year I did not and by the end of the rut it was clear to me I was 20 to 30 yards off on a couple stand locations that made the difference. I learned a lot for next year and have not given up on this year. I saw a decent amount of deer but not as many as some of the past years. I did see a lot small bucks and hardly heard any shots in gun season.

The older I get the better I was.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Regular Visitor

Hunting 2A. Had a decent archery season, with deer sightings 8 out of 12 times out (either morning or evening hunts when time allowed, only a couple hours at a time), few decent buck in there but wasn't able to close the deal. Rifle has been a different story. This is my 30th year of hunting and by far this has been the quietest with shots heard, and also the least deer sightings. Less hunters to move the deer around. Tough one, and pretty frustrating. Keep reminding myself just to enjoy being out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page