Day 10 December 8 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Day 10 December 8

Anyone hunting today or am I the only good still at it. Finally got my opportunity today. Rattled in a group of 3 does and an 8pt from a thicket. Lead doe did the quick walk across the open field at 108 yards where I proceeded to give her a hair cut. I guess I was a little overzealous with my follow through. I got white grey body hair and no blood. Looked with a friend for a few hours. Back in the stand again. Hope that wasn't my only chance for the year.

That's the first time I have tried rattling, guess I will need to find some antlers to make myself a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM

Shoot that 8pt for some antlers..no shot opportunity? .
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Didn't know he was in there. Rattled and saw flashes of deer moving in the thicket. Big doe came out first. After the shot two small doe and the buck high tailed it across the field. That was the only opportunity I have had this year in 6 full days of archery and today is day 5 of rifle for me. Needless to say I wasn't waiting to see if there was a buck following when the doe stepped out. It's been an awfully slow season but it only takes a second to change. Oh well I have the rest of today and tomorrow still left. This really helps the enthusiasm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just my personal experience if you can actually count 8 points , it should be a dead deer with a rifle. Good luck with the rest of the season
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesroost View Post
Just my personal experience if you can actually count 8 points , it should be a dead deer with a rifle. Good luck with the rest of the season
Why would I shoot at the buck when I felt I had just made a good shot on the doe?

Hypothetically say I had hit the doe well and also in the same scenario shot the buck. I would be in violation of the game code by having two down with out tagging the first deer.

Had I known the buck was in there and going to come out I would have waited and may have had a buck. But I took the first opportunity I had. Thanks for your input.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunted two different spots in 3D......same results at both, zilch.

Could not walk in the woods as it was too noisy. Stuck to walking on trails, paths and powerlines, but nothing was seen. Bumped into another hunter who had the same results.

Oh well, not hunting tomorrow, but I'll be out on Saturday. Hopefully come flintlock season, the deer will decide to cooperate.

Steve
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Banned

Holding off until Saturday. The boys and I are heading to our old spot in Schuylkill county. Going to spend the day in the big woods, then will wait until flintlock season and will hit the local patch again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Part of the Community

Was out this am before the front came through. Didnt see a hair. All is not lost snowing pretty good here in southern butler county . Friday and saturday are looking good. Good luck to all and be safe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 PM

All day again today with no deer seen. This is by far the worst season I've ever had. Off tomorrow and Saturday.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunted a couple hours today in 1A in butler. No deer. Brought a different gun that hopefully goes bang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page