Knives lost ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Knives lost ?

Over the term of your hunting seasons just how many Knives have you lost in the woods?
Then again how many have you ever found?
I can't remember how many i lost! It was always a belt knife in a leather sheath type. I would end up buying a new one almost every 2 or 3 years. How they escape from the sheath still mystifies me? I've had them in all different lengths and styles. I have lost Schrades and Cases!

In the 70s i decided to just carry a decent sized pocket knife. I had that one for years until i had to move in the end of the 70s and it disappeared with a Davey Bracken box call ?
I found it 2 years later! My son had claimed it? He had the knife but lost the Turkey call!
In the 1985 he went to the Air Force and served in the Red Horse Div. [ with honors]for his time and the knife was not found when he returned home.
We still only carry a pocket knife and can't see why you would need a Bowie knife or a mini-machete to gut a deer?
And back to question #2,how many have you ever found. Myself i have never found a knife someone had lost and i have been stomping the forest for over 58 years.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM

Lost 1 on the first deer I ever got and it was my buddies. Thankful there was no family history or sentimental value to it. I have found 0.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Lost a Buck fixed blade, with sheath, one Fall while scouting. The next Summer, while in the same area removing fallen limbs from the fence line, there it was in among some stones, leaves and twigs. Rodents had done some damage to the sheath and there was some discoloration on the aluminium parts but the blade was pristine. I had originally bought that knife for my dad in about 1965 and he carried it while hunting for more than 25 years. I still have it and it is special to me. Some day the memories will be forgotten and I will sell it off. In the end, it's only a knife.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

The second buck I ever shot, when I was done gutting him I realized I did not have my knife. Looked all over and around the gut pile but could not find it, and it was my first and only hunting knife.

Thankfully, the wife and I had bought my 2 kids toy metal detectors for Christmas, so I opened one of them, threw some batteries in it and brought it back to the gut pile the next day and was able to find the knife. While I don't use it anymore because I upgraded to a knife with a gut hook, I still have that original knife and hope to pass it on to one of my grandsons when they start hunting.

Separate story: I actually found a knife early in the archery season this year when I was tracking the blood trail of a doe I shot. It was in the middle of a thicket, and I took a minute to imagine the hunter who had trudged through that same thicket, and I hoped that he was not tracking his deer because he had lost his knife.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page