got an illegal 4 point today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

got an illegal 4 point today

yes sir, i did, i got an illegal 4 point today in WMU 1B and kept it. let me tell you.

started around 7:15 am saw a real nice buck with a doe at the edge of the field approximately 385 yards from my stand (range finder distance) both of them went back into the woods. about 35 minutes later a string of 7 doe followed by the big buck and doe went running thru the field, thru a tree line, onto the neighbors property and beyond, never to be seen again. shortly after this my son who is in a different stand saw 8 other deer go the other way, no shot to be had.

mean while the property owner kept driving his gator down the side of the field, ALLLLLLL, the way to back of the property which is way back in the woods, he owns over 600 acres. he was hunting back there. he went back and 4th about 4 times all about 40 minutes apart each time he had a different son with him. on the last trip out back he was gone about an hour, we heard some shooting from out back, quite a bit actually.

this time when he came back, he had 3 others with him and a decent sized black bear in the gator...WOW, way to go.

shortly after this and after not seeing anymore deer since the morning, we decided to go get some lunch (here it comes, the 4 point) as we got to the road a vehicle drove by, the very next vehicle happened to be the PGC and they stopped to check our licenses.

on the back of their vehicle they had a deer carrier with a deer on it, i immediately said "hey, thanks for bringing my deer over to the car for me"

the WCO said you wont want to shoot that one its an illegally taken 4 point, to which i replied "Nope, sure wouldnt shoot that" to which the WCO replied "Do you want it" and of course i said "YES"

we chatted a while, they checked our licenses, transferred the 4 point from their carrier to mine, got the required permit from the WCO, we shook hands, i wished them well, said to "stay safe" out there, they said "thank you"

and thats how i got and kept an illegal 4 point.

i have never had a bad encounter with a WCO and this one was icing on the cake, great guys, friendly, polite, courteous, helpful, just GREAT GUYS

thank you to all the WCO's for the job you do.

Merry Christmas.
Muzz, casey, Birch812 and 8 others like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 12-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It never hurts to ask.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had a WCO give me a Bear about 2 years ago. Was in archery deer season and the farmer shot it for crop damage. I was dropping off my sons deer to be processed and noticed a bear in the back of a truck, when I asked about it, the officer asked if i'd want it...... WCO's aren't all bad : so long as you obey the law! Now "Fish Wardens" they can be real jerks! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Great story
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

If I don't shoot it, then I don't want it.......I'd have told them to keep it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

it was fresh, not a road kill, i didnt have to use my tag, they had more time to perform their duties instead of dealing with a dead deer and i got extra venison for the family. all around great deal.
PaRay1, WADMAN, BCozhunter and 8 others like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago on the first day of small game. Game commission truck driving down the game lands road and I started a conversation with him told him I got my two birds and was heading back my vehicle when I noticed the spike on his carrier. He said he had to run it to the butcher shop in the southern part of the county and would take 2 hours for the round trip. I said I would be more than happy to take it off his hands. He said that would be great and wrote me the papers to transfer it and that's how I got a limit of pheasants and a buck onthefirstday of small gameoneyear. Great guy and it ate well.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:03 PM

Great story. Glad to hear it.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Knowing how in my 72 years my eyes have gone somewhat dim, I'm surprised mistake 4 pointers aren't more common. Maybe they are??

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:06 AM
The Man

Nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page