Head shot -why only? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Head shot -why only?

How come every head shot story I read about involves does only? If people are 100% confident in their head shot skills, wouldn't they take the same shot at a buck? It is almost as if does are a 'lesser' animal and don't deserve a well placed shot behind the shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Speaking just for myself: Much more time is taken when I shoot at the head. Often times I have found less time opportunity with bucks. Of coarse if shooting at an older class bigger buck I don't want to damage the cape. If someone feels confident with thier ability to make a clean head shot there will be a clean body cavity. My favorite kind.

I certainly don't consider does lesser than bucks but, I do find them tastier.

I get where you are coming from though.

Rutledge, said it well: There are hunters and then there are turkey hunters. We love head shots.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Only head shots I take are at squirrels with a 17 mach2 or 17 hmr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Only head shots I take are at squirrels with a 17 mach2 or 17 hmr.
Or groundhogs with ballistic tips from a 22-250 ;-)
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 AM

I take the shot that will at any given time,dispatch the animal ethically.I neck shot a doe last year facing dead straight away from me.If it were a buck I would have done the same thing.I want the animal to not have to suffer pain.When I was a young man I hit a deer in the spine.It bawled so loud I can't forget it.I promised myself it won't happen again.I ran full speed to that deer and made a head shot to end it's misery.I almost quit hunting that day out of respect for that deer.Since then I have made a point to practice shooting more.I can't remember why I still hunt.I do know that my practice might save me repeating what happened that day.I wish more would do the same thing.I practice enough to actually know when I'm off my game.If I look through that scope I already know if that shot will hit where intended.I have lowered my rifle a few times honoring that deer that bawled.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Part of the Community

I will be 70 in a few months and grew up hunting and target shooting. Know the gun and most of all know your own ability with that weapon. I head shoot everything, squirrels, deer, groundhogs. I can't hit a barn from the inside with a shotgun! I have watch good marksmen make great shots on paper and shake so bad when a deer walked out. You do what is comfortable for you and make a good shot, keeping in mind to quickly put down that target. I will say this, too many hunters use a cannon to compensate for poor marksmanship! My buddy who owns a gun shop tells me his best business is on the weekend of deer opener. Quick buy a rifle, hunt, sell it back after the season ends. Good shooting and God Bless!
mooneydw likes this.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Never attempted a head shot on a deer and it is something I would never try. Just not my thing.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:19 AM
New Arrival

I would never head shoot a deer. To much margin for error. I finished off a doe last year someone tried to head shoot and shot off the does lower jaw.luckily meat was still good probably happened that day.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Part of the Community

I shot until my target is fully complient. Be it one well placed shot or a few...head shots are not an issue for a well seasoned and/ or trained riflemen IMHO....
mooneydw likes this.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 AM

I don't care how good of a shot you are or "think" you are, a head shot is just wrong and unethical.......it's disrespectful to the animal and the margin for error is too great. I truly believe head shots on deer are done for one reason....the hunters ego.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page