State Parks / State Game Lands - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonyc26

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

State Parks / State Game Lands

So I have my spot all set for this season, but I'm going to be getting the opportunity to gun hunt, and I don't think I'd be to comfortable gun hunting where I've been since it's a really small area. I have a friend who I just spoke too who's moving in with his father right off of 80 near the NJ/ PA border, and in a few months he'll have his PA license. He wants to start coming hunting and would keep a rifle at his house for me, which is good news because due to nyc gun laws, I haven't been able to go gun hunting (don't want to jump through the hoops and pay the money for the application, i hear most get denied for the most nonsense reasons).

Anyway, the point of this post, is since I'll be able to gun hunt, I'm going to start scouting new areas on public land. I have a few game cameras coming in the mail, and I'll probably be setting them out.
Some of the things I'm keeping in mind while trying to chose the next spot/park:
Not too crowded, hopefully to the point where I won't have to worry about a cam being stolen.
Not too crazy terrain, I usually go alone so won't have help dragging.
Gun and Bow hunting permitted, not too restricted where Ill end up in a no hunting or private area.
Close to the nj/pa border, preferably close by 80. Willing to travel down to 5c/d if it means a good spot with a longer hunting season, or west for a goldmine of a park.
And most importantly, a good spot for deer. Major plus if there's also turkey, and any other wildlife (even though I probably won't be hunting anything except deer or turkey, I like to observe, keep sme entertained while I'm out).

Some of the places I just quickly listed off a map:

Hickory Run/ surrounding game lands, all the way through to big pocono, tobyhanna, nescopeck, etc..
George Childs park (because I'd be 10 minutes from my step fathers as well)
Deleware Water Gap recreation area (also close by my stepfathers and another friends)
SGL 186
Jacobsburg state park,
Evansburg state park,
French Creek state park,
Nockamixon state park (one of my preferences)
SGL 56

Also, just for if I ever want to get a rustic cabin in the winter and see some nice scenery (closest one open through the winter that I found online), worlds end state park, but I doubt it.

Since I listed so many, I'm not expecting anyone to have a knowledge of which is best, and I will be out there scouting myself. I'm more posting to find out if there is any on here that you guys would suggest staying away from so I can check them off now, or any that you know that stick out as better then the rest. Also open to other suggestions, and not looking for anyones specific spot (though i wouldnt mind it lol) either. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Good hunting in the Delaware Water Gap NRA [DWGNRA] and SGL 180/183.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Part of the Community

Jacobsburg is crowded and a ridiculous amount of hikers year round, Delaware water gap rec area on the pa side is not to bad during archery but becomes mobbed for rifle. I don't know about the other areas but am also curious as I would like to try another spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Jacobsburg off the list, +2 for dwgnra lol
norad likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nockamixon gets a lot of hunting pressure. It is probably because it is the closest public hunting to the larger cities (i.e Philadelphia) It's mainly flat. It gets stocked with pheasant. Lots of waterfowlers in the area. Lots of hikers, horses, etc.

SGL 127 in Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro is very nice. BIG woods. There is plenty of acreage there. Brady's Lake area is nice. There is a game land road between Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna called 7 mile road. Lots of swamps in that area. Good deer, turkey and bear numbers. Finding them is the tougher part. Better make some friends if you kill a bear in one of those marshes. It gets some pressure but the area is so big it's not an issue.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Administrator

DWGNRA is sort of crowed the first day of rifle but the rest of the firsty week isn't bad at all.

In fact the second week of rifle it's very barren of hunters.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Anyone know what zone dwgnra is?

Last edited by tonyc26; 11-29-2016 at 07:16 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Part of the Community

It is zone 3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page