Opening Day Redemption - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Opening Day Redemption

I'm actually writing this story from work. We have a big inspection this week so I wont get to hunt until Friday. Needless to say it has been a hard day not being in the woods with the family, but thank God for modern technology.
My brother had shot a nice buck on the last day of archery season. The thing bled like crazy for 70 yards and then nothing. We tracked and tracked and searched as much as we could. We had a 12 person crew the following day combing the entire hollow and hilltop back over to camp but couldn't turn up the buck. By the end of the day, the consensus was that the buck was still running and maybe (hopefully) someone would get another chance at him in gun season.
Fast forward to today:
I got a picture at about 0900 from my brother showing a good buck in the picture with him. I was so excited that I didn't even really look at the picture, I just called him. As the story goes, my brother was walking in to his stand in the hollow this morning and along the way he caught the smell of a rotting animal. He continued on to his stand but couldn't really focus on hunting because he kept thinking of the smell. He sat for an hour or so, and finally got down and went back up the hill to where he crossed the scent. My dad met him there and after only a couple minutes of searching, the found his half eaten buck laid up in a thick patch of laurel. We had walked within 10 yards of this buck at least once, if not more. Gotta love laurel country!!

Obviously the meat was no good, but I am so excited and relieved for my Brother to find his buck. He was absolutely heartbroken, as were the rest of us. Two other guys in camp shot bucks this morning, so all in all its a pretty great day! Best of luck to everyone and be safe!!
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (4.06 MB, 98 views)

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Boy those darn things can you die well. Heck of a deer!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 PM

Congrats. to your brother!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buck!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page