Split season opinions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Split season opinions

So this is the 3rd split season in my area 4C/3D I think. Those that have had it longer, are you seeing more deer?

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I don't think it much matters. It seems like hardly anyone hunts first day but come that first Saturday when doe comes in the woods are packed. If anything I would think it would hurt harvest has for get an early education and can find hiding spots before they can get hunted. Not much different though then when we had 3 day doe after buck season
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:39 PM
The Man

I'm not sure the intent of the split season is for more deer. When they listed those doe allocation worksheets, they had recommended allocations for the 2 week concurrent and for the split/concurrent seasons. The desired harvest was the same but it was only the allocation that differs for the season. My unit has been on the split season since it's inception. We are seeing more deer, but it's because the BOC has been lowering the license allocation these past couple years, not because of the split season. IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:39 PM

Hate the split season. It completely goes against antler restrictions... Bar room deer management at its best...

I see no more or less does but I do see less bucks...

Last edited by sch Co; 11-28-2016 at 04:46 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Personal observation: There were more guys hunting the area I do this year than anytime in the last twenty, so even tho it's bucks only (2C), and antler restrictions, that didn't stop the hunters from coming out.

Personal preference: I would rather the seasons be concurrent and , if too many does are getting killed, lower the license allocation. I think that is more convenient for hunters.
villeman and Uncle Nicky like this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:38 AM

I DMAP'd our property because of split seasons. I'm in southern 2F farm country...a far cry from the big woods of 2F to the north. I have plenty of deer and limiting my opportunities to thin the herd was less than appealing.

My 9yo missed a doe yesterday. we saw 18 deer. We didn't see, but heard, many more the first couple hours in the heavy frosted and loud brush. I filled my second and last DMAP tag around 3:30...5 minutes after he headed back to camp. He's welcome to fill my 2F tag on Saturday.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Im in 4A for our camp and i hate the split season, we see tons and tons of does, but no legal buck, i think they should go two up for buck, one buck and one doe tag a year, except in special regs areas. I think they should impose more strict antler restrictions in those areas just because of the quality of deer that are in those areas. Locals are another problem they just kill what ever they want, then complain about the game commission.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I actually wrote on my calendar after last year that I should not take vacation on the 1st day this year. My reasoning was that I usually don't see a legal buck and cannot take a doe so wait for Saturday. I took vacation anyway and hunted. Not much shooting but it was nice to be out with the deer still acting normal at the end of rut instead of being pushed around by other hunters. And I took a nice 6pt that came across the field to fight the 4pt that had been feeding in front of my stand for an hour.

That said, I think we'll do DMAP on the property next year. I don't get many days to hunt so the option to take a doe when I can would be welcome.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Part of the Community

i live out of state so don't get to hunt doe in 4d since I can only stay down for the first day and maybe a few hours on tuesday.

I'm only 28 so only got to tag along when it was 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe, but think that the current split season is a nice compromise.

not a lot of shooting where I was the first morning but it was nice being in the woods, saw a few bucks one may have been legal but metal on the sling smacked the gun stock when I grabbed my rifle from beside me so he was alert and I couldn't get the binos on him to count. had one group of 5 doe come within 30 yards of me 3 different times.

so although I don't get to hunt doe, I like the extended season. gives my dad more incentive to go out with the camp and spend more time in the woods. I also like that bear season runs with some of deer season in some units, dad & the guys at camp have hunted some different areas than they normally would because of that opportunity.

so in the end: inconvenient, but a lot more convenient than it used to be and gives more incentives to hunt a bit more/different
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim62988 View Post
i live out of state so don't get to hunt doe in 4d since I can only stay down for the first day and maybe a few hours on tuesday.

I'm only 28 so only got to tag along when it was 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe, but think that the current split season is a nice compromise.

not a lot of shooting where I was the first morning but it was nice being in the woods, saw a few bucks one may have been legal but metal on the sling smacked the gun stock when I grabbed my rifle from beside me so he was alert and I couldn't get the binos on him to count. had one group of 5 doe come within 30 yards of me 3 different times.

so although I don't get to hunt doe, I like the extended season. gives my dad more incentive to go out with the camp and spend more time in the woods. I also like that bear season runs with some of deer season in some units, dad & the guys at camp have hunted some different areas than they normally would because of that opportunity.

so in the end: inconvenient, but a lot more convenient than it used to be and gives more incentives to hunt a bit more/different

I would Admit being an Atheist before I Admit being a Democrat or a Republican.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page