A little disheartening, not much on cam..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A little disheartening, not much on cam.....

I hung my deer cam out again this past week, just to gauge any deer movement just prior to the season opener. Retrieved it this morning. Cam was out for 3 days and only two deer were captured. One was a potential 6 point, but his right antler was gone at the base of his skull (could he have dropped it this soon, or do you surmise fighting caused it? This deer was literally a foot and a half from the camera when he got his picture taken. It was around 2:00am on the 26th. The other was a dim sunset photo of what appeared to be a large doe about 50 yards distant along the woods edge. Last time I hung the camera was just prior to bow season starting. I had captured 4 different bucks then. There is a hunt club that owns the woods just to the north of the field I'm going to be hunting over. Wondering if some of the guys who hunt there culled those bucks. I hope not. The buck I saw was legal, but I'd really like to take a buck with two antlers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Banned

3 days really isn't enough time to gauge movement. I've had days where there were dozens of deer on the camera, and then 3 days with out any. Just depends.

We run at least a dozen cameras pretty much year round. I like cameras, and they have helped us a lot, but they are by no means everything. Deer can easily walk behind a camera and you would never see them.
SRA-5C+ likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I know 3 days isn't a long time, but I don't like to leave it up for longer than that due to theft issues on this land. Another hunter we know there has had two of his stolen. He left them for long periods and they both walked away. I conceal mine and just pull it out after only a couple days to minimize this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:42 PM

3 days is not enough time to confirm any deer movement. Your doing more harm then good going in and out every 3 days leaving human scent. We run about 22-25 cameras. The first time we put them out they dont get touched for 3-4 weeks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a camera out mid Oct. On way in to my stand that morning (darkness) I noticed a fresh rub on a small maple tree just few feet behind the camera. Mid day I checked the camera. I didn't get him on camera. I had days had no deer photos. Doesn't mean there not there.

We witnessed deer walking in front of our trail cameras while on stand and thought we got there pictures. Not all did we get. Some were just out of range a couple feet. Like the cameras we are using. Saids up to 100' detection? Not even close to that. Test mode setting up camera trigger motion the green light doesn't blink after 15 yards =45 feet.

Good luck to you...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6140 View Post
3 days is not enough time to confirm any deer movement. Your doing more harm then good going in and out every 3 days leaving human scent. We run about 22-25 cameras. The first time we put them out they dont get touched for 3-4 weeks.
You've misread my post. I didn't say I go in every three days. I put the camera out three times in as many months. I'm not checking movement as much as I'm checking what is in the area. I know I'd get better indications had I left it out, but again due to theft issues I won't risk that.

Besides, the place we hunt is on a property near a working airport on the south side, a farm to the west, and a mushroom house just west of that. All these properties border our stands. Trust me these deer are used to people being around. I doubt it would bother them even if I did enter the area every three days.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 11-27-2016 at 06:03 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just remember that the deer have to walk in front of the camera it doesn't mean anything if you don't get pics. I put a cam out in a spot on Oct. 31st. during bow season and hunted it 3 times. I watched 3 bucks pass within 10 yards of the cam and another 4 bucks pass within 40 yards of it and not one deer stepped in front of it over the 5 day time period. Now I own 20 + cams and totally addicted to them but if I judged that spot based on that camera I wouldn't have harvested this buck ( which also didn't step in front of that cam)

Last edited by ShedSeeker; 11-29-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:30 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

How the cam is positioned is very important in getting images.

I try very hard to get the camera looking either at deer coming toward it or deer going away from it and not perpendicular to deer travel. It gives the trigger/sensors that much more leeway to catch and see the movement.

I also put my cams on video so that I see what really goes on. I have several vids this year of deer I'd never have seen because they trailed the initial deer coming through by enough to not be in the pic, but not enough to be in the next set of pics (all cams have a lock out, even if only 5 seconds, between taking a pic/vid and when they'll be able to be triggered again).

Is your cam setup conducive to getting them on the camera (as above)? Not being a smart aleck...it took me a while to start doing the stuff above, and I get a lot more deer on camera than when I started. I don't think there's more deer, I think my cam setup is just better than when I got into it.
SRA-5C+ likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Cameras can be great tools but don't rely on themy too much. The buck I end up shooting aren't the ones I see on cam throughout the year. While hunting I have seen deer walk at just the right path to miss the cam. Don't be discouraged, especially since it's only been 3 days
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I hung my deer cam out again this past week, just to gauge any deer movement just prior to the season opener. Retrieved it this morning. Cam was out for 3 days and only two deer were captured. One was a potential 6 point, but his right antler was gone at the base of his skull (could he have dropped it this soon, or do you surmise fighting caused it? This deer was literally a foot and a half from the camera when he got his picture taken. It was around 2:00am on the 26th. The other was a dim sunset photo of what appeared to be a large doe about 50 yards distant along the woods edge. Last time I hung the camera was just prior to bow season starting. I had captured 4 different bucks then. There is a hunt club that owns the woods just to the north of the field I'm going to be hunting over. Wondering if some of the guys who hunt there culled those bucks. I hope not. The buck I saw was legal, but I'd really like to take a buck with two antlers.
Don't take offense to this but I am going to guess that you have not gotten a deer in several years. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page