Motorola GMRS / FRS Channels / Privacy Codes by County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Motorola GMRS / FRS Channels / Privacy Codes by County

I am a licensed amateur radio operator - Amateur Extra Class License.

A thought came to me, to try to organize a Home Channel for each county in Pennsylvania for the Deer Rifle Season this year.

Maybe by suggesting a certain channel / Frequency - and Privacy Code - for the Motorola Talk About radios, we can set up an Emergency Channel / Frequency, that can be used by all hunters in that county for Emergency Aid / Assistance.

I realize that those radios has a range - Line of Sight, which may be as little as 100 yards or as much as 3 miles - where I hunt, depending upon terrain.
But if we can arrange a home channel / frequency that everyone can monitor for their county, we could possibly offer to monitor those channels / frequencies.

In Jefferson County - I monitor Channel 7, using privacy code 13.
I scan all of the channels using a second handheld radio.
I also have access to a LMRS 465 MHz. repeater that can be used to call for help in areas where there is no or limited cell phone service..

React monitors / uses- GMRS Motorola Channel 20! 462.675 MHz +5.0
Steve in PA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a pretty neat idea. I carry one of the Midland GTX radios. I use it to keep in touch with some of my friends hunting in the same area, but not necessarily with me. Luzerne County area.

Steve
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
That's a pretty neat idea.
Yes it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:26 PM

This would be really cool, but how would we do it?

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great idea. Though GMRS is not covered under the ham radio license and is actually and additional license at a much higher price then our $10.00 5 year license to operate ham radios. I know many use the GMRS without licensing and I believe for the most part unless you get some anal people out there very few ever get reported. They were trying to pass legislation to license by manufacturer for GMRS though do not believe it passed and make it similar to CB. https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-...o-service-gmrs

However you can use the FRS channels and setup the same thing though the distance is a limiting factor. Most new radios are duel band FRS/ GMRS. Though personally I would use the gmrs or any thing if it was a matter of life or death. Now the legality is out of the way I am for it. I travel scraton area and Lancaster during deer rifle if you want to setup a channel there I will check in on it now and then.

Last edited by genxweb; 11-25-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxweb View Post
Great idea. Though GMRS is not covered under the ham radio license and is actually and additional license at a much higher price then our $10.00 5 year license to operate ham radios. I know many use the GMRS without licensing and I believe for the most part unless you get some anal people out there very few ever get reported. They were trying to pass legislation to license by manufacturer for GMRS though do not believe it passed and make it similar to CB. https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-...o-service-gmrs

However you can use the FRS channels and setup the same thing though the distance is a limiting factor. Most new radios are duel band FRS/ GMRS. Though personally I would use the gmrs or any thing if it was a matter of life or death. Now the legality is out of the way I am for it. I travel scraton area and Lancaster during deer rifle if you want to setup a channel there I will check in on it now and then.
Maybe you didn't read what I posted.
I have a Am Extra Class - amateur radio license, I also have a LMRS repeater - open to anyone - with permission - of course. I'm not claiming any coverage area or anything like that.

What I am saying is that I understand the rules and regulations set forth in the Part 90 and Part 95 radio services.

If you read the rules - the rules states that in an emergency, any person can use any frequency available to them - to call for help! Look it up!

What I am saying is that per the rules, a person with a Motorola Talk About - Bubble Pack radio, with an affixed antenna, and limited to 1 watts of power, can in fact operate their radio - with or without a license.

The limitation is that the affixed antenna limits the amount of gain to a fixed amount which limits the range of the handheld to a strictly line of sight range.

The FCC does not care about GMRS and they will not even try to enforce any types of rules for GMRS during the hunting season.

By trying to set up a home channel - per county, it would be possible to coordinate those frequencies with the PGC - Game Warden, and emergency services.

As I said before, different agencies - such as REACT still uses those frequencies - with a license and a repeater.
Repeaters works on the principal of one or two radios placed at a high location - which increases it's range. One half of the radio receives the signal and the other half or radio retransmits what was received on a slightly different frequency.

A filter is placed on the line going to the antenna which allows one antenna to both transmit and receive.
No you could not use REACTS repeater to talk to REACT - since the bubble pack radios do not operate on the principal of a split. And the REACT repeater uses something called a Private Line (PL) - a sub audible tone - what the bubble pack radios calls a privacy tone. But operating Simplex - your handheld to their receiver, it is possible for anyone monitoring the frequency to hear you.

One way this could be done would be to use The Wilderness Protocol - using some sort of frequency that could be monitored by all for emergencies.
The problem being that if you tried to designate any one frequency or channel, there would always be some deviate that would try to jam that channel or frequency - just for the sake of denying it's use by others!

No it would not be prudent to rely solely on a GMRS Bubble Pack radio for emergency communications, but any port will do in a storm.
No you wouldn't want to designate the channel you normally operate on as the emergency channel, but most newer radios offers the option of being able to scan while monitoring. They even find the CTCSS / DCS - PL code for you while they scan.

One way to do this would be to alternate channels, There is 67 counties in Pennsylvania. Take them by numerical alphabetical order and coordinate them by number.

Adam's county - #1
Allegheny County - #2
ETC...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page