Any advice for Colorado mule deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Any advice for Colorado mule deer

Couple friends and I are planning on hunting Colorado for mule deer next year if we draw tags. This will be all of our first times hunting out west. We aren't looking for trophies, just want to experience western hunting and get a shot at any bucks. We were thinking of applying for tags in NW part of state, unit 3 or 4 for 2nd rifle season. We have flights, vehicle rental and lodging figured out (camping). I'm more or less looking for any kind of advice that could help us be successful. What kind of weather, lots of pressure, is it possible to get deer within a mile of roads or worth the trek in? Unfortunately we're all on the younger side and won't be able to afford a trip out there just to scout, but will arrive a day or two before season opens. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Your best bet would be to talk with a game biologist from Colorado. They can help you find an area that is OTC or where zero PP's are needed. I saw numerous mule deer last month while elk hunting, but that was in SW Colorado. The state has vast amounts of public land available.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:28 PM
New Arrival

Take good optics and use them, find vantage points where you can see a lot of country and glass until your eyes hurt. Also practice shooting longer ranges, out to 300 yards or 400. In my experience you can find bucks close to the roads, but they are normally the little guys, 2x2's Once you have the tag I would get familiar with the elevations and what direction the deer go to winter. An early storm will get them moving, so be familiar with where you might need to go. Big bucks stay high and like the rough country. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:33 PM
New Arrival

Give yourself a day or two to get acclimated. Altitude sickness is not fun. The area I hunt requires 2 pref. points and the third attempt I should draw. Plan on staying hydrated, it's so stinking dry in the second season. As my friend who lives out there says...This is Colorado, pack for anything.... that is rain, snow and 70 degrees and anything in between. All of us easterners see a 20 inch wide buck out there and go crazy. There are a lot of those along with the little ones also. I fly into Grand Junction and go from there.... it's better than Denver and driving 4 hrs. more after that. Give yourself a whole day coming and going for travel purposes. Once you go, you won't want to come home. The scenery itself is worth the price of admission. If you shoot an oddball caliber rifle, take at least two boxes, you wont find anything like that at the local stores. Most of all.... enjoy yourself and take plenty of pictures. Best of luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:39 PM
The Man

Where do you hunt? I hunted UNCompadre for elk 4 years ago then Grand Mesa area previous years.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunt unit 4 for elk and mule deer tags are over the counter. If you're going to hunt second season rife you may as well buy an elk tag too as they're over the counter and seasons run together. Mule deer are everywhere North of Craig. They have more mule deer than we have rabbits and when you drive at night you better crawl. Not a ton of monsters but I did find an enormous set of mule deer sheds last time.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page