Western Maryland? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Western Maryland?

Hi guys: I usually spend a week to 10 days hunting deer in New England each November. Unfortunately, I can't go this year. Instead, I am starting to put some ideas together to do a late muzzleloader hunt from a tent on public land. I am thinking about Western Maryland as a possible destination. Specifically, Green Ridge State Forest (or any other large public area) is of interest to me. This would just be a one-time trip to take the sting away from my missed trip to VT

If any of you guys are familiar with Green Ridge or other semi-remote public land, I would appreciate your thoughts. PMs are welcome if you don't want to put too many details out in public. I'm not asking for you honey spots, just to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see there is CWD in Western Maryland. It's probably no big deal since I would have been quartering in the woods and packing out. If I get something I'll have to bone it out too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:56 PM
The Man

I live around 20 miles from there. Large track of ground not hunted hard anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got back yesterday from a cold 3 day hunt there. I'll post a report later. I liked the area but I don't think I'll buy a MD license again. Other than the western counties it seems like there is hardly any public land to hunt. What land there is, you have to make reservations to hunt. MD regulations are awful. It makes me appreciate PA.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM
New Arrival

region a laws/ regs do stink. That pesky 1 doe on the last day of the season thing is backwards, it should really be permitted to be taken at any time of the season if you are going to restrict it to 1 doe. Maryland is definitely a state with public access issues, it pays to know someone with private land; and it pays to know someone with private land in region b where you are permitted to harvest either sex during the entire season (making it a little easier to justify paying the out of state license fee, cost and travel time to hunt, etc.) I am interested in reading your trip report, Green Ridge is huge, but there are some monster bucks hiding out there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Okay, it was not a real eventful trip but here's the rundown. I was planning to go on Saturday but I postponed until Sunday because of the ice reports. I got on the road around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday and got to the Green Ridge State Forest around 7:00 a.m. When I got onto the State Forest property, I found the roads to be entirely covered in ice.

I limped my way along (and dented my truck in the process because I am too stubborn). I had chosen an area that I wanted to hunt but there was no way I was going to make it with the condition of the roads. I ended up parking at the first area that I found and started hiking out. I was near the red trail (Deep Creek, I think).

I followed the trail for a couple miles than left it to find deer sign. I saw quite a bit of sign as well as uneaten acorns. There were also areas that had been scraped by the deer to get at the acorns. It was sleeting all day so I set up a tarp to keep my gear out of the sleet. I hunted until dark then slept under the tarp. I didn't see any deer but I heard them throughout the night.

On Monday, I tried still hunting but the frozen leaves were really noisy. I saw a fox squirrel, which was a surprise to me. I covered some ground and saw lots of sign but the deer didn't seem to be moving.

Once it got dark, I rolled out my bivy bag and went to sleep.

Deer snorted at me through the night. At dawn I had deer moving by but my glasses were coated in frost so I didn't get a good look. I was pretty cold and had to be back for work so I packed out the 2 miles or so in the morning. When I got to my truck I saw that it was 13 degrees F at around 10:00 a.m. and had probably dipped below that overnight.

All in all it was a fun couple of days. The shortened trip (skipping Saturday) and the cold temps, and damp/frozen gear made it hard to hunt. If I were to go again in those conditions, I would bring a canvas tent with stove and set up a base camp.

I did like the State Forest a lot and only wish it was closer. I didn't see another soul. The deer seemed to be nocturnal. Maybe they were hunted hard in the shotgun season or maybe I just was too noisy. I'm not sure. I would like to try again before the season ends if possible.

Last edited by Springer Rage; 12-21-2016 at 11:47 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:42 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is that an F-150? Maybe 2010-2013 vintage? Looks exactly like mine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yup, 2012 with 95,000 miles already.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:56 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mine is a 2011 with 96,000 miles. 5.0 V8. So far so good.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 PM

That's a great adventure. Not too many people get out and actually hunt anymore. It's nice to see

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page