Lures, scents, etc.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Lures, scents, etc..

With the rut just a few weeks away (I know I'm probably driving you guys nuts with all these posts) I wanted to get a few opinions on a few things.

Anyone have luck with Buck Bomb (peticularly sugarbeet smash, and doe in estrus)?
I heard from one of my cousins that the sugarbeet smash works wonders and from what I see online doe in estrus seems to work, also, is it legal? And do you have to be somewhere that naturally grows sugarbeets for it to work?

Also, what calls do you guys use? I looked around online and ordered a pack rack (knight and hale), seems to overall have the best reviews..
Are they useful, or should I cancel and try to get something better? Also what time should I start using calls / grunts ( I also have a primos grunt tube)

And finally, I want to make sure I understand cover scents correctly. During this time, we should be using nothing / or buck urine on the shoes right? How about calling? And closer to the rut, I should start using doe p, and doe in estrus during the rut right?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Re: Lures, scents, etc..

From the PA Digest

Lures & Scents
Except in CWD Disease Management Areas, estrous scents and
lures, or other non-food source cover scents are legal for deer.
Scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food
stuff, including, but not limited to, corn, apple and acorns are not
legal. Use of drip devices is legal, with legal scents and lures, as long
as they don’t violate the prohibition against electronic devices. The
use of scents or lures while hunting bears is prohibited.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Skip the buck bomb and sugarbeet smash. They are a gimmick...

Personally for me, estrous scents scare large deer and will somewhat get the attention of younger bucks. If you use estrous scents, use them on a drag rag to your stand/hunting area. You can then hang the drag rag in a tree and let the wind catch the scent. I dont start doing this until Halloween.

I like Evercalm as a cover scent and it has worked wonders for me when deer are around. Its not a lure, but a cover scent. Dont expect deer to smell it and come in. It only works if they cross your trail or are in your general vicinity.

As for calls, you can start rattling lightly now. I like the rattle bag, but nothing works or sounds better than the real thing. The can call is good when used correctly ( do not follow the directions on the can call packaging, PM for details).
Grunt tubes are great, but you really need to know how to use one and when. Watch as many YOUTUBE videos as you can. Ive been grunting lightly and have had some success so far this season.

Skip the buck urine.

You should really find what works for the deer in your area. You are going to get many different responses from everyone on this. Some things work for others and some don't. Some guys swear by buck urine and estrous, some wont touch it and waste their money.

Previously JJ5C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 PM
The Man

I use tarsal gland scent while rattling. I think it helps to bring in deer that circle downwind before approaching. I agree with a rattle bag...much easier to carry in/out of the woods than a set of antlers.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Anyone have any experience with the pack rack?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

After forty seven years of bowhunting, I will tell you to never put any commercial scent near your stand. Forget about all the scent control products and clothing also. Pay attention to one thing you can control. Your movement. You will be miles ahead of most bowhunters if you do.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyfont
After forty seven years of bowhunting, I will tell you to never put any commercial scent near your stand. Forget about all the scent control products and clothing also. Pay attention to one thing you can control. Your movement. You will be miles ahead of most bowhunters if you do.
I haven't been hunting anywhere near that long, but in the short time that I have, I've been suckered into all sorts of scent gimmicks, none of which have proven effective. I've come to the same conclusions as you on both ends: skip the scents, skip the scent control, hunt carefully and watch the wind. So far, that philosophy has led to multi-deer archery harvest seasons over the past several years on both public and private lands.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Banned

I stopped buying scents, and scent control products the day after my father in law accidentally spilled a cup of french vanilla coffee on his hunting coat on our way up to the deer woods. He had to have his morning cup of coffee. He got a nice piebald buck later that same day........
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

So you're using french vanilla? What brand,Coffeemate or International Delight? lol
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:53 PM

I wouldn't say that lures/ cover scents don't work, but I've never used them. I believe that the popularity of various outdoor shows have driven the use of them. The makers of these products are signed on as sponsors of some shows, and the hunting celebs never fail to mention how effective they are.

The wackiest promotion of lure I've seen was at a trapping convention at Clearfield some years ago. A fellow there was selling 1 oz bottles of turkey lure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page