OLD WOODEN TREE STANDS ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

OLD WOODEN TREE STANDS ?

How many of these have you found in the woods?
We hunted private land but it was open for anyone to hunt.
We were allowed put tree stands up but not in any way place nails in the trees. I know we left a dozen or more in those woods when it was bought[by a well to do local guy] and posted for his private hunting grounds.
I know of stands that are now 20 or 25 years old have fallen down!
I had over the years have seen tree stands in the big trees the size of small cabins and 25 feet in the air? These were built by the old land owners.
I was so glad when tree stands came on the market i could carry and set up then remove and use later. Who knows how much we spent on lumber over the years?
When i do come upon an old rotted stand my mind pictures a fellow in a set of Buffalo Plaid Woolrich coat and pants with a Red Bandanna pinned to his back? He is holding an old 35 Remmington or a 30-30 Winchester!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Re: OLD WOODEN TREE STANDS ?

Yup. I remember the days when that is what a treestand was. I built some myself but used a lot of other peoples. The thing that would gripe me is when they would space the steps at uncomfortable distances to try to discourage others. I've had some close calls on ones that had become rickety too. Now they force me to pause when I see their remnants hanging in the trees. They tell me that someone once felt this was a really good spot so I check the spot out closer to see if it maybe still is.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM

I remember helping my dad to carry lumber out into the woods to help him build the tree stand the he and I would use to hunt my very first rifle season 24 years ago. It was large and elaborate, and could fit at least four men in it comfortably. A few years back I was out in those same woods and looked up and saw the remnants of what was left of that stand and it brought back quite the memories.... First buck, first deer sightings, etc.. Only problem was anybody would just climb up in them and use them. After a few years there was a guy who would race us every year to get to the stand that WE built and stake claim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Part of the Community

When I was a kid, 45 years ago, it was a common practice to use old rotted wood to build a tree stand, good enough to hold one or two people for two weeks at a time.
The ritual was to visit the tree stand a couple of weeks before deer season, make a mental note of what needed replaced. Show up Thanksgiving weekend, replace the bad boards, use the tree stand one more time.
I actually had one of the first commercial tree stands.
It was nothing more than some 1/4 inch steel plate bent at a 90* angle with a brace welded in between. It nailed to the tree - like a wall bracket for a shelf.
You attached two by fours to the bracket with wood screws.
You nailed the platform to the two by fours.
There was no sides or roof.

My cousin and I built a tree stand in a maple tree at the camp more then 40 years ago that was a very productive deer stand. Unfortunately the users were not knowledgeable about carpentry or safety. One year they neglected to tell anyone that the safety railing was bad. My dad climbed up, leaned on the rail, fell 12', landed on top of his bottle of soda and rifle, broke all of his ribs on one side, spent 6 weeks in the local hospital.
When the camp was sold, I took a sledge hammer and knocked all the tree stands out of the tree's, it was a liability to have them on the property.
Most of the tree stands on our property, after 12 PM on the first day, anyone could have sat in them, because the hunters were already back in camp, with or without their deer. There was some fights over property and tree stands the last year we hunted there. Basically the generations changed and the newer generations were not respectful of our land and were only out for themselves.
There was one guy that not only built a tree stand on our property, he even went so far as to put up POSTED signs on our property and throw us off our own land - because it was a pretty good spot and we did not know where the property line was at for sure!
The new owner spent thousands of dollars on a good survey.
Threw that guy off the property, put a natural gas well & pipeline where that guys tree stand was located.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

I've run across many an old rickety wooden tree stand while out hunting. I would often wonder who built it and when. Most were rotted to the point the next wind gust would surely take it down. Some of them were placed in good looking spots, others, I had to question why somebody would go to the trouble of placing a stand there. But I guess they saw something about the spot that I did not. At any rate, I would never consider climbing into an old wooden stand. I value my health above all else and will leave that daring deed to the more care free or careless individual, whomever that may be.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 03:45 PM

As a youngster I hunted out of a few on GL's before they were outlawed back in the 70's. Then in the late 80's a buddy had 35 acres and we put up 3 on there. The location I wanted mine was tuff the only tree suitable was covered in poison ivy - thought I'd be smart and build during the winter when the plant was dormant - WRONG. I got it bad, the good thing was I got most of the ivy ripped out. Did kill several deer from that stand in the following couple of years.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've hunted many of properties with them, and have seen the remnants of many many on state game lands. They are usually way back deep which is to much astonishment because someone had to carry that lumber back there to build.

My dad and I took and knocked the ladders down to many of them on a few properties we hunt to try and discourage younger hunters that may and climb them.

I have plans to build one in WV this year. I just haven't had the free time yet...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 01:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Back in where I bear hunt in some nasty mountain laurel there is one that someone still hunts out of. It's not that old. I can't believe that they hauled the wood back in there. It's about 25 ft up and on a hillside in the laurel so when he's up in it he's looking down probably 50 ft onto a bench in the laurel. It's a great spot.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:10 AM

Ladder stands have replaced the permanent wood stands.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I agree, the old wooden stands could be dangerous. The new aluminum stands are much better...

******Have a good one!******

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page