90% of the time gets a buck ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

90% of the time gets a buck ?

Do you know anyone that is like that ?
I would place myself in the 45 to 50% of the time group. It has even dropped these days since i can't go like i use to and i have lost a lot of areas i use to hunt to it being posted.
The few hunters i know that have a high rate of success put in a lot of time and learning the area they hunt. The dedication they put in to it is amazing. Often times it is something passed down from one of their family members like their father?
I had no one to teach me. I got started in the 50s and the uncles and their friends, that i hunted with were all deer drive hunters!
For forty years my theory was to treat it like fishing? Figure where you wanted to hunt and just go there and wait.One day a light went off in my tiny brain and it said this just isn't the way to hunt deer!
I read everything i could find and put many miles and hours in the woods and fields studying them. I am still learning?
bohunr and bigguy54 like this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Part of the Community

Re: 90% of the time gets a buck ?

I might know one or 2 guys like that. I'm not like that. Been hunting 20 years and got 2 bucks.

I was raised around rifle hunters that mostly taught me still hunting and understanding public land pressure. Find a rub line or most recent sign and you might get lucky.

I feel like the light bulb went off for me when I started archery hunting. I've always been interested in learning as much as I can about my areas and deer behavior. Now I feel like I have a few more tools to my advantage. The Internet has taught me a lot about different strategies, different behaviors, and of course it's also gimmicks central.

Since I have gotten more serious about hunting I have more consistently filled my tags. Not a booner or a p&y but trophies to me. As each season comes anew I feel more equipped and ready for opening day.

At the end of the day I am there to have fun and realize I have NO control over the wild animals. If one stops bt when im there, that glory goes to god.
Six-Gun and task125 like this.
post #3 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:35 AM

I would say that I fall into the 90% category. Probably for two reasons, I hunt the full 2 weeks of rifle all day, every single day. Second being, I'm not super picky about the buck I take. I haven't killed a nice buck (130's) since 2009. They've all been smaller 6's, 7's and 8's.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 AM

i think I'm in the 90%. my personal rifle season tactic is to place a stand between the other hunters and good escape cover or a well traveled corridor.

get in early, i like to be in position at least 45 minutes before daylight. wait for the others to kick the deer to you AND

if you can out last the other hunters your odds go up drastically. they get cold or bored around 9:30 or 10am and start walking around. I WAIT and they usually bump deer toward me.

works on private land to. the neighbors do the same thing and the deer cross the road to our section of woods.

its a rare year when i dont at least get a shot at a buck.
CROW MASTER likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM

I have also followed the same tactics as bohunr. I'm an all day sitter generally, regardless of how cold I get. This year on days when the woods are less populated, I will be taking a few slow strolls, but generally I sit in areas I know the deer will end up when the late starters and lunchgoers get moving.

2B and 2D
post #6 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Their should be 2 camps to answer this question fairly. Hunting deer on private property isn't like hunting public hunting ground. Now if your fit, or have access to cut off public land thru a private property you can get further "in" to where there is less pressure... your success rate will go up if you put in the time.
post #7 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm currently batting a .875 lifetime average. Would be easily sitting at 100% but got tired of shooting basket racks. Once I harvested my first P&Y buck it was downhill from there. Now it's either go home with something worth mounting to the wall or head home empty handed.
post #8 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey
Their should be 2 camps to answer this question fairly. Hunting deer on private property isn't like hunting public hunting ground. Now if your fit, or have access to cut off public land thru a private property you can get further "in" to where there is less pressure... your success rate will go up if you put in the time.
I'm not sure why people say that.My success rate on public property has never been any different than it is on private property.I actually see far more people on private land than I do public land and it's been that way for about 15 years now.
fall gobbler and Bucky VA like this.
post #9 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallair
I have also followed the same tactics as bohunr. I'm an all day sitter generally, regardless of how cold I get. This year on days when the woods are less populated, I will be taking a few slow strolls, but generally I sit in areas I know the deer will end up when the late starters and lunchgoers get moving.
I do the exact opposite except during archery season.Today there's far less pressure and more food for what deer are there.They simply don't have any need to get up and move during the day.I still hunt the vast majority of the timer and see far more deer doing that.
post #10 of 272 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallair
I do the exact opposite except during archery season.Today there's far less pressure and more food for what deer are there.They simply don't have any need to get up and move during the day.I still hunt the vast majority of the timer and see far more deer doing that.
This is obviously a situational approach given the property and pressure surrounding it. I still see just enough hunters around from bordering properties that the deer get moving.

2B and 2D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page