Skinny doe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Skinny doe

I was just wondering what thoughts were on this one...

I saw a doe on Saturday while I was bowhunting, and she was limping pretty badly on her right front leg. She would put weight on it, but not much. Her right shoulder was pretty badly atrophied, and through bino's at about 100 yards (7x glasses), I could pretty readily see all the bones in her shoulder. Her hips showed/had "hollows" in front of them. Her ribs weren't showing. She was feeding and acting very much like a normal, alert, adult doe. She got down wind of me and winded me slightly and was nervous and carefully moved off in the way any normal deer would.

She was never anywhere close enough for a shot.

What are your thoughts on a doe like this? She doesn't appear sick to me. My guess would be she got dinged by a car at some point.

I'm wondering if she'll recover and survive or if she's going to continue to wither. I guess it's impossible to tell....I hate to let her walk if I have a chance to end her suffering if it's truly going to come to a bad ending for her anyway. On the other hand, if there's a chance of her rebounding, I don't really want to put an arrow in her.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Skinny doe

Tough call there. Deer are tough animals that can rebound from injury. I believe it was this site that had pics of wounds that looked terrible to unbelievably heal and the deer seemed pretty much just fine. The only part that has me wondering is you mentioned how skinny she is now, when she needs to be plumping up for the winter. Perhaps you'll see her on future outings and you can see if she looks better or worse and make the call based on that...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM

CWD ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I doubt an illness is at work, unless I see her acting weird later on. She is acting like a completely cogent, normal adult doe.

browninggold, I think you make a good point-- seeing her later on and seeing how she's done in the intervening time will help out. If she seems to be improving, I think she gets a pass. If she's declining, there's my answer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Part of the Community

We sportsman are an odd bunch- our "goal" is to kill but we hate to see suffering.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

no one wants to see suffering as animals and most hunters would put an animal down before seeing it suffer...Being a farm kid we had put down some of our best animals and pets for better or worse..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 PM
The Man

If you have a trail cam set it up in the area to try to keep up on her.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM

I took a young buck in MO one year during muzzleloader season like the doe you saw. Did not know it was a buck until I shot it. It had shed it's rack already. Figured out why later. When we skinned it out we found the right shoulder completely atrophied. Also the "elbow" had a slightly greenish swelling/knot. Figured some poacher had shot it in the leg with a small caliber rifle in the summer or previous winter. It suffered a bit but seemed onto a complete recovery. Did not notice any limping when I jumped it and it ran before stopped, when I shot it. We figured the rack dropped early due to his system still being stressed a bit though. Could tell one side dropped off the day before and the other one late that night or early morning before I shot it (still pink and just glazed over).

Tough lil buggers

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 AM

Green is not good,even a little bit.I shot a heavy horned 6 pt one year in Maryland during late BP. Saw it had a puncture wound in the back and did have a bit of a smell.Because it looked healthy and strong I thought it would be ok.Took it to the butcher and a couple days later he called me to tell me the whole back of the deer was gangreen and he dumped it.Last year my son shot a nice 6X6 Elk in New Mexico. After the shot the Elk staggered off a small cliff. When they got it up they saw it had an injury to a back hoof but not sure if it happened during the fall. Turns out he lost half that elk due to the infection from the hoof injury traveling. The injury was old and badly infected but the Elk was heavy and acting fine.It was bugleing all the way in. I will never chance less than perfect meat.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM

I would put her down if I had the chance. I've seen this go both ways. I shot a small 6pt a few years ago that had a really bad limp and his foot was dragging. I put him down knowing that he may be spoiled. Luckily it must've just been a deformity or an old injury. His rack was weird on the opposite side of his body.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page