Anybody go for Caribou still? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Anybody go for Caribou still?

Seems a lot of guys used to go to Quebec for Caribou but now you don't hear much about it. The herds are down and the prices are up and I figure most probably quit going. Seems like the prices have doubled in the last several years. I'd like to go but at those prices I don't know when it will happen?

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 AM
The Man

Re: Anybody go for Caribou still?

What prices are up?Are you talkin licences,passport entry,lodging,outfitters if used?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM
The Man

I've gotten 9 caribou so far. 2 Quebec-Labrador, 6 Woodland and 1 Alaskan-Barren Ground.
The prices are definitely up, and I'm not totally sure why they are so high for caribou in some cases. For all that they include,there are places in Quebec that are not bad deals compared to the rest of the caribou hunts. For my money right now, the best bet is Alaska, and not Western Alaska.
The Alaskan 'Bou that I shot was on a grizzly hunt North of Tok. The transporter that we used was 40 Mile Air. They offer do it yourself caribou hunts at a reasonable cost, though even their prices have gone up lately. But it is a doable trip if you have the proper equipment. And the 40 Mile herd is the fastest growing herd in Alaska. If you are patient, there are some whopper bulls in that herd. But it is not a trip for everyone, nor is it a trip for a solo hunter IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I never considered a caribou hunt something that you did on a regular basis. I went once, to the NWT. Got my caribou and they take up quite a bit of wall space. I can't imagine shooting one every year.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:28 PM
The Man

When I first started going on trips I went to Quebec specifically for caribou. Since then I look for 'bou as an add on species. The 6 woodlands that I've gotten were in Newfoundland after I got done moose hunting. The barren ground one was in Alaska after I got my griz. They are just a nice option for after you get your primary animal.
I need a mountain and a central barren ground for the slam, so I see some more caribou hunting in the future.
If the animals are there, the biggest challenge can be deciding which one you want. If they are not there, it can be one of the most challenging hunts out there. But still, caribou country is some of the most beautiful that I've seen.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:41 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We did not hit the migration to solidly when I went but we still saw caribou each day. We just had to look harder for them. They told me that it can be insane, with caribou everywhere. I still shot mine on the second day and spent another 5 or 6 days fishing.

We were on Courageous Lake. About 1.5 hour float plane ride north of Yellowknife.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
The 6 woodlands that I've gotten were in Newfoundland after I got done moose hunting.
Man, I wish it were possible to take a woodland on my moose hunt a few weeks from now, but the outfitter only has a few tags these days and not only sells the hunts separately from her moose hunts but, from what I understand, hunts bou in a different area altogether. Sounds like we probably won't even see any on our hunt in MMA 39A.

Took a bou on a western Alaska DIY hunt. I'd love to do another bou hunt; under the right conditions it's probably one of the few big game hunts I could still handle physically.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
What prices are up?Are you talkin licences,passport entry,lodging,outfitters if used?
Outfitter prices are almost doubled from years past. Good hunt used to be about $3000. Now they are around $5000-$7,000. I should've went when I had the chance. Can't afford it now for sure.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat1
Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Outfitter prices are almost doubled from years past. Good hunt used to be about $3000. Now they are around $5000-$7,000. I should've went when I had the chance. Can't afford it now for sure.
Know what you mean, this thread got me to checking prices and I was blown away. I suspect that the trend towards flying hunters around to different camps has led to this; makes the chance of missing the herds unlikely, but at quite a cost. I also see that one outfitter has bought up at least a half dozen of the more famous operations, guess he has somewhat of a monopoly on the whole deal now.

I have that kind of money in my hunting budget, but I'd rather go on 2 or 3 less expensive hunts each year than to blow it all in one wad.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM

I have made 5 trips to Quebec for winter caribou hunts ,,killed 8 ,last trip in 07 I think ?? prices up some,,, but biggest reason a lot of people quit is the limit was lowered too 1 from 2 caribou ,, now I can see you can get 2 if you buy 2 license
we went here most of those trips
http://www.mirageaventure.com/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page