BUCKS & TRAIL CAMS ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

BUCKS & TRAIL CAMS ?

I don't have any trail cams but my boys do. My son and i have seen others on here say that all of a sudden the Bucks seem to thin out or disappear?
They get a Buck picture once in a while but mostly does?
Could it be that after their antlers set that the Bucks go and take a break and just lay around, to replenish the calcium that was taken from their bones to make the antlers?
A buck will need strong bones to do some fighting for them does.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: BUCKS & TRAIL CAMS ?

Once the antlers are hard, they are out of the bachelor herd mentality. They start turning more into loners and I think they will start looking into establishing their territories for the upcoming rut.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned

<span style="font-style: italic">White tail deer have a fully developed skeleton by the age of four. Once the deer is fully developed, the deer's body can concentrate on antler growth.
</span>

Calcium always goes to skeletal development before antler growth. Seems you have it backwards.

http://www.the-whitetail-deer.com/deer-aging.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Why Grow Antlers?

In every animal population, strategies have developed to help ensure the strongest individuals get the greatest opportunity to mate. While antler size has no bearing on the age of the individual, it IS a great indicator of the health of the animal. Antlers are renewed each year meaning the stags need to find a large source of calcium to supply the antler growth. With a diet of green vegetation, one might wonder where this secret source of calcium originates. The simple answer - from their own bones (primarily their rib cage). Since only the healthiest males will be able to afford such a large diversion of resources, an impressive set of antlers is also an impressive pedigree for parenthood.

WILLY P
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 PM

Willy, firstly the summer patterns versus the fall are completely different. Also, depending on the age of the deer they disperse and sometimes over long distances from where they summered. And once the bachelor groups dispel, they become very different animals after the antlers harden. A bucks home range depends on many things, dispersal goes from dominance to age to food sources, pressure and breeding capability. There is also one of natures most dominant features, preventing inbreeding.

There is no set pattern to a mature bucks thought process except, just like many young men. Where will I eat, sleep and find some. And most importantly where can I do it that I will not get shot at? That's it. But remember the buck you seen in August may be many miles away come September, October.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
There is no set pattern to a mature bucks thought process except, just like many young men. Where will I eat, sleep and find some.
In my world, young bucks never worried about eating or sleeping.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It has happened to me almost every year. I used to worry that I overpressured the bucks by scouting, but then I found that it happens no matter what. Dont get too wound up, just start poking around a bit until you find the bucks again.

Edit- If you are in area where acorns are the primary food source, they are dropping and ripening right about now.... so keep that in mind too.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 PM
New Arrival

I agree with the other posts. It is normal that in the first half of September buck ranges change. Sometimes you will continue to get pics of bucks you saw in the summer. Sometimes they leave. Often you will start seeing different bucks that are new to your area. Bachelor groups are breaking up and food sources are changing.

Precision Public Whitetails
@ppwhitetails
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:39 AM

Slot of changes take place through the end of summer into fall...

Antlers harden and bachelor groups break up... territories are established...

Food sources change...

Leaves fall..brush dies..bedding often changes..

As well as pressure from hunters change deer...

And I think trail cams are often used in the wrong spots and checked too often and that pressures deer... especially mature bucks..

A big buck got big by avoiding humans...you might not know you spooked them..but they know you were there..and they may avoid the area or leave the area...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Part of the Community

My small hunting area had 6 shooter bucks on it in august.
Now only the 1 midsized 8 pt calls it home. I believe this buck to be a bully. Last 5 yrs usually have at least 2 good shooters. They would split the farm in half. So this year I'm expecting a lot of sitting and watching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page