PGC & QUESTIONS ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

PGC & QUESTIONS ?

I have and Outofstater has to, called the PGC at the Harrisburg headquarters and ask questions on hunting regulations.
There are 6 Regions in the state plus the Harrisburg main office,so lets say 7 areas to ask for information !
If you call one of the 7 phone numbers and ask a question you get an answer? Then call one of the other phone numbers and ask the same question you get a different answer,to the same question?
What the heck is going on with this? Who knows what the laws are for sure and can tell you the right response?
Passing the buck seems to be a game they play! You call and ask a question and then call another place and ask the same question,they give you a different reply? Then you say " Well so and so said this or that!" That person will tell you " You better listen to so and so then !"
How do they train these people? Do they pass a law or new ruling and send it to them and say " HERE IS A NEW LAW. YOU FIGURE IT OUT!"

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: PGC & QUESTIONS ?

What was your question?

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:27 AM

Keep in mind you often aren't talking to an actual Wildlife Conservation Officer when you call.

Same with the State Police. If you call one of their station numbers you are very most likely talking to a civilian dispatcher.

Now, whoever answers the phone may or may not know the actual answer to your questions...they shouldn't be giving wrong information either.

Questions on the phone are also tough to give a perfect answer to because there are often unknowns and other factors come into play. Believe me...I worked as a dispatcher for an agency...the questions people call with and the way questions are asked it's tough to give a perfect clear cut answer because the questions aren't that simple..

I'm sure the question wasn't cut and dry like "what day does dove season start". Or do i need a archery license to hunt with a crossbow etc...

At the end of the day 2 people's answer will matter. The WCO enforcing the violation and the district magistrate that the hearing will be in front of. (Then higher courts if you so desire).

With game laws it's often best to try to get in touch directly with the WCO covering your area if you have something truly questionable...

Of course this is all my opinion and 3 cents so take it for what it's worth...I'm no lawyer and know nothing about law enforcement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 AM

Great and accurate information comes from these offices and incorrect information comes from these offices. I have been part of both.

Ultimately it comes down to reading the digest, asking your questions if you are not sure, and hunting legally as you understand it.

We have due process in this country. If confronted by LE, be cordial, explain your side, and let the officer take it all in and decide what to do. If you believe you were falsely charged with a crime or penalized for an action, it is your right to fight it in the system.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Keep in mind you often aren't talking to an actual Wildlife Conservation Officer when you call.

Same with the State Police. If you call one of their station numbers you are very most likely talking to a civilian dispatcher.

Now, whoever answers the phone may or may not know the actual answer to your questions...they shouldn't be giving wrong information either.

Questions on the phone are also tough to give a perfect answer to because there are often unknowns and other factors come into play. Believe me...I worked as a dispatcher for an agency...the questions people call with and the way questions are asked it's tough to give a perfect clear cut answer because the questions aren't that simple..

I'm sure the question wasn't cut and dry like "what day does dove season start". Or do i need a archery license to hunt with a crossbow etc...

At the end of the day 2 people's answer will matter. The WCO enforcing the violation and the district magistrate that the hearing will be in front of. (Then higher courts if you so desire).

With game laws it's often best to try to get in touch directly with the WCO covering your area if you have something truly questionable...

Of course this is all my opinion and 3 cents so take it for what it's worth...I'm no lawyer and know nothing about law enforcement.
That is pretty much exactly as it is and some of the best advice you can get.

The place to start looking for the correct answer, and the correct answer really can vary in different areas of the state, are here in the digest. If it is an area specific question though you need to make sure you are looking at the right WMU.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/P...ingDigest.aspx

If you want to know what the law is you can find it in the following link. But, the law can sometimes be hard to read and understand for a person who doesn't have a legal background.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI.../HTM/34/34.HTM

Then a person has to understand that laws are long term and set by the State legislature through the bill making process. Since they don't want to go back and rewrite the laws several times a year the law also authorizes and allows the Agency to establish regulations for various things such as seasons, methods of hunting, etc, that are constantly in need of change. Those regulations then become the same as the law itself if they are within the purview of the authority established in the law itself.

The regulations established under the authority of the Game law are as follows:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/partIIItoc.html

Then you also have federal laws that govern some aspects of hunting, especially when it comes to the migratory species and those generally supersede the state laws, including the hunting hours which might very well be different than what are established in the state law.

Are you starting to figure out yet how a dispatcher could give you information that would be correct for their area that might be incorrect for another area or that some questions don't have a real clear yes or no answer?

Dick Bodenhorn
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp
I have and Outofstater has to, called the PGC at the Harrisburg headquarters and ask questions on hunting regulations.
There are 6 Regions in the state plus the Harrisburg main office,so lets say 7 areas to ask for information !
If you call one of the 7 phone numbers and ask a question you get an answer? Then call one of the other phone numbers and ask the same question you get a different answer,to the same question?
What the heck is going on with this? Who knows what the laws are for sure and can tell you the right response?
Passing the buck seems to be a game they play! You call and ask a question and then call another place and ask the same question,they give you a different reply? Then you say " Well so and so said this or that!" That person will tell you " You better listen to so and so then !"
How do they train these people? Do they pass a law or new ruling and send it to them and say " HERE IS A NEW LAW. YOU FIGURE IT OUT!"

One thing I would like to point out is and no way am I bashing PGC from another post I made concerning CWD. As I stated that was first year and executive order was put out after digest went out. It was a new thing and proper communication was hard to establish. I did my home work the best I could and was willing to work with everyone in this situation. As I said to a few of the officers this year was going to be a give and take ordeal to the bugs get ironed out. These guys was in agreement and in most cases common sense prevailed, it was something I think we all wanted to do our best at. When I had these issues was around late August and I'm thinking it came out around mid July that year. Since then if you do your part there are public meetings to attend and you will learn the rules. Its all a matter of how much effort you put in to it also, I know the rules now and wont have to pay.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Some states publish clear guidance on allowing hunters to bury them or leave them in the woods. With the coyote/predator population what it is in Pa, you would think it wouldn't be a big issue. Throwing carcasses on the side of the road? No. Leaving them out of sight, why not.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 PM
The Man

The dumpster worked well and was in place last season of which was second year of this. Of course some idiots had to throw there trash , etc in them also after there was a sign saying deer parts only. It also made it good for road crew to dispose of road kills in it. All in all it worked out for me, life is a compromise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page