Called the PGC yesterday -Tagging deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Called the PGC yesterday -Tagging deer

I called and talked to a fellow and was told that the law is the deer ear tag stays with the head.
So if you hunt in a DMA area and put the head and hide in one of their dumpsters it should stay with it ?
If you take it off and put it with the meat depending on the mood of the Officer you my be written up?
Since everybody seems to have a cell phone i would just take a pic of the head and the tag .

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM
The Man

Re: Called the PGC yesterday -Tagging deer

When it comes to DMA rules I would not be to sure. 2 years ago when if first put out by executive order I did my home work very well since I was not going to be the first to pay the fine. I called Harrisburg and talked to them on several questions for around 15 minutes and felt I received good info. Later in season I talked to Huntington office on another question I had after harvesting an early muzzy doe. They told me I did wrong and that Harrisburg told me wrong info. I called Harrisburg back and explained my story, they said if Huntington office told me that then I better adbide by that. So know my comment was this was going to be a give and take ordeal they all agreed. My issue was I could not find a dumpster in my area. At my cabin I have no garbage service and found out Bedford county had no landfill. Harrisburg told me to bury it Huntington said it was wrong. About a year ago I attended a meeting the PGC had open to public in Berlin Pa since they moved the DMA west. I had a WCO say I could of actually just pitched it anywhere on my property. As far as the tag as your speaking about I never give game law advise on here since I'm not a WCO. However I never left the tag on the ear after throwing it in the designated dumpster. My reason is I don't care for something with my personnel info on sitting there at public site. I used the dumpster quite a few times and never once seen a tad on any thing in there. I kind of think back to the give and take thing I mentioned would apply here.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM
New Arrival

It surly be nice if the PGC would make a lot of the gray areas, such as tagging to a black and white, so everyone is playing by the same game rules, but that how the PGC rules I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM
New Arrival

It surly be nice if the PGC would make a lot of the gray areas, such as tagging to a black and white, so everyone is playing by the same game rules, but that how the PGC rules I guess. Instead of this catch 22 situation we have now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Harrisburg told me to bury it Huntington said it was wrong. About a year ago I attended a meeting the PGC had open to public in Berlin Pa since they moved the DMA west. I had a WCO say I could of actually just pitched it anywhere on my property.
Other than "Just because it's the law".... I see no reason why you burying a Deer's head is not just as valid as the same head going into a public dumpster ? OR... are you/they saying that there are designated dumpsters for Deer parts only in the restricted areas ? If that's the case, I can see the PGC wanting to collect parts for testing... but I have a hard time believing those parts aren't simply buried also.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 AM
The Man

This was the first year of it. I didn't know what to do since owning my camp in Pa. and living in Md. For last several years I was bringing them home and processing in my nice pole garage with winch, running water, etc. This was my first call of what to do. They said take parts to landfill- Bedford county has no land fill, Set them out for garbage- I have no trash pick up at my cabin. Then just bury them I was advised but I mentioned my ground is shale and rifle season ground should be frozen. Early muzzy season I took a doe and tried there way to bury parts, it did not work well. RWJ on here told me there should be a dumpster some where in county I should call Huntington office to see. I proceeded to do that and they advised me where one was. I mentioned I tried to bury but was a pita, they told me then I was wrong of doing what I did. I advised them Harrisburg told me this and there reply was Harrisburg told me wrong. I called H-burg back went thru a few people and finally they said it was okay but I better listen to Huntington office. I advised them with this poor communication a big problem was going to arise and lots of luck collecting a fine especially from me. Later they finally got it together with public meetings, et.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 PM

What a nightmare of communication. I'll continue to put mine in the ground.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM

There's certainly a certain level of work involved in burying Deer's skull/spine in the ground in December here in PA. Even if the ground isn't frozen, there's a fair amount of work.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 PM
The Man

I know just wanted to do to say I did it. I about drove them nuts that first year with all kinds of questions that I knew would be threw at them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page