HOW MANY DEER HUNTING BUDDIES ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

HOW MANY DEER HUNTING BUDDIES ?

How many do you have ? I only ever had 2 that i could count on? They were ready on time or would be where they were to meet you! One moved away and the other got hurt and quit hunting.
Now all i have is my oldest son and i had to move away from him 15 years ago.
Iv'e met a few people here that can talk a good hunt but after getting to know them better i would not go into the woods with them!
i am a safe hunter and am law abiding !
How many do you have to count on?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:13 AM

Re: HOW MANY DEER HUNTING BUDDIES ?

We have the same group of hunters each year. Some for 39 years this season. If they weren't good,honest safe and ethical hunters they would not be in my camp.Never had a problem,not many rules except if a beer is opened say for lunch you are done hunting for the day.All good people,I'm pretty lucky.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a core of guys that come to rifle camp every year. Fluctuates between 6 and 9. Got a couple of other guys that I'll hunt a weekend of archery once or twice a year.

I would say there are 7 that I can count on hunting with every year. One being my dad and one being my 14 year old son.

I have a few others that I talk hunting with and share trail cam pics with but don't really hunt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

My brother for the last 35 years. We know what the other is doing and can depend on the other.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Aside from my brother, who has been hunting with my for the last 15 years, I have one good hunting buddy but he moved last year. We still get together when we can to hunt though. We did two trips to AEP lands in Ohio in '14 and they went off without a hitch. It is nice to know that the guy your with understands what each of you need to do to be successful and have an enjoyable time. We are headed out west next fall to chase elk together, and I am really looking forward to it. Oh yea, and I am heading to Ohio in 21 days to hunt the archery opener with him. I am always looking for a good hunting buddy, but I have some pretty high standards.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM

I haven't had one since my boys left for the service. One is out of the service now but lives too far away, Missouri, and the other is still in. I will on a very rare occasion hunt with someone for part of a day but usually hunt alone for big game.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Dad.

I missed a lot of years in the woods with him, while I was gallivanting around the world for Uncle Sam. After my AF retirement, He was unavailable due to Mom's medical issues.

She passed June of last year, so last winter was the first in awhile that the cabin had boarders for deer season. I popped a doe the first morning of rifle, while we were taking a mid-morning snack break. Him and I together were the only reason I got the harvest off the mountain without having to call 911.

And those couple of days bonding helped both of us with the loss of Mom. I so look forward to another year at camp with him!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM

On a regular basis it is my son and 3 others who I have hunted with for the past 25 years. This is mostly bear, deer and both turkey seasons.
Everyone I hunted waterfowl with has now passed but I go out myself.
We use to have a group that small game hunted but that's about done.
There are neighbors or guys I work with that I try and get interested in hunting but mostly they look more for instant success and I usually won't invite them back. I'm not interested in getting out about 9 AM and hitting the bar by noon, if that was my style I would take up golf.
I can't wait for my 4 grandsons to get interested so I can start over again.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 PM

I have three hunting buddies sometimes some of us hunt small game or coyotes together, for deer he usually travel to our spots separately often on different properties, but keep in touch if anyone needs assistance. Often we met after hours and/or Sundays and compare stories and make plans.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had the same hunting partner for over 30 years. My oldest son, now 19, has been a regular on my hunt's since he was 7 or 8. There are also some other guys who I get out with when our schedules allow. Its hard to match schedules when everyone has kids, spouse, and work.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page