Stalking Whitetail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Stalking Whitetail

I have been a still hunter for around 20 years now, but as I age I try to find new ways to increase my odds or challenge myself. This year I would like to give stalking a try. Over the years I have met a few guys who stay on their feet all day. I know there has to be a few people here that stalk regularly. I'm looking for any tips/tricks that may have helped you become successful. The number of hunters has decreased around our camp, so if anything I'll do a horrible job and at least someone will end up seeing deer. Anyone?

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 PM
The Man

Re: Stalking Whitetail

I'm not sure what you're saying. You say you have been a still hunter for 20 years. I'm not sure what you mean by stalking. Isn't stalking a still hunting skill?

To be stalker, you must be a still hunter. A still hunter moves through the woods quietly, without making a sound, trying to spot a deer before the deer spots the hunter. If he sees a deer he can't get a shot at, he stalks to a position where he can get a shot, without alerting the deer to his presence.

What am I missing?

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Sage

It was passed on to me "Walk a little and listen a lot"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:59 PM
New Arrival

+1 Steve, I hunt on my feet all day, and that's what I always thought as well, it's really just still hunting. Not really sure how it could be different.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Stalking to me implies that a deer is seen at a distance and you try move in for a closer shot.

Still hunting to me is walking quietly and slowly, while looking and listening for deer.

I'd say they are similar, but not the same.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM
dce
Sage

That's pretty much all I do in rifle season.Always use the wind.Never walk in the open.Use the topography to your advantage.Get good glass and glass everything before you move,depressions,logs,thickets etc.Learn to shoot off hand and get a safari sling.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I'm not sure what you're saying. You say you have been a still hunter for 20 years. I'm not sure what you mean by stalking. Isn't stalking a still hunting skill?

To be stalker, you must be a still hunter. A still hunter moves through the woods quietly, without making a sound, trying to spot a deer before the deer spots the hunter. If he sees a deer he can't get a shot at, he stalks to a position where he can get a shot, without alerting the deer to his presence.

What am I missing?

Steve.
I'm not sure if you're being complicated or my post was really that confusing. Stand hunter is what I'm referring to. Meaning no walking throughout the day generally sitting from dark to dark.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallair
Quote:

What am I missing?

Steve.
I'm not sure if you're being complicated or my post was really that confusing. Stand hunter is what I'm referring to. Meaning no walking throughout the day generally sitting from dark to dark.
Only hoping to clear up the question. Stand hunting and still hunting are quite different, but many people are confused about the terms. You remain still while on stand (fixed at one spot either on the ground or in a tree stand), but that is not still hunting. A still hunter moves through the woods. He may stand still a lot, but he is on a course that takes him through areas with high odds of seeing deer.

If you're asking for advice on that, there are many resources. Here's one:
My top Ten Tips for Still Hunting.
Here's a review I wrote about a good book on the topic:
Still-Hunting Trophy Whitetails.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM
dce
Sage

ONE OTHER THING BUT THIS IS HUGE.I've mentioned this before and people say I'm crazy but this is what I've experienced over the past 35 years hunting this way.Deer have evolved.Years ago,when the northern tier was inundated with hunters,deer relied on flight.It's how they evolved to escape wolf predation.They'd run around all day picking up more deer as the day went on because there was safety in numbers.As the crowds left,they no longer had to do that and are now much more content to lay still and let a hunter walk past,which leads me to my next point.If you walk parallel with where deer are,they'll more than likely let you walk past.You don't have to be super stealthy either.I taught my son how to hunt by strictly still hunting starting at age seven.A 7 year old isn't the quietest thing in the woods but we were always successful.Trust me,the deer will know you're there anyway.The key is to know where you most likely expect deer to be laying and never walk directly at them.If you skirt them,you'll get shots and often times,they'll be close.Almost every deer we shoot is either bedded or they just stand up..
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallair
Quote:

What am I missing?

Steve.
Still hunting is the opposite of being still.It's a slow walk where you stop.look and listen.Stalking is when you see an animal and try to get closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page