JUST HOW HARD IS IT TO KILL A DEER? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

JUST HOW HARD IS IT TO KILL A DEER?

I have been reading threads on shooting deer and bullets for hunting here in Pa.
I keep reading "I ONLY USE PREMIUM GRADE BULLETS."
My God deer are only big rabbits,why do you need an armor piercing bullet to kill one?
Man.i can kill one with a stick with a small piece of steel and feathers on it!
Yet i read about guys using great big magnum rifles and and so called premium solid core bullets going a million feet a second to kill one!
This,to me,would be equal to going rabbit hunting and using 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 gauge to kill a rabbit!
Just maybe,if some guys would just learn how to shoot and pick out a good shot,they could just use regular bullets that are meant for the deer.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Re: JUST HOW HARD IS IT TO KILL A DEER?

Totally agree. I gave up hunting for deer 6 years ago. Always used an over the counter round for a 243 and it never let me down. I took pride in the ability to place the shot in the kill zone. If I didn't have the shot the deer got a pass. A lowly 22 will kill just as well as the super duper new round if placed correctly.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM
The Man

Folks, let's please keep comments pertinent to the topic that the OP introduced. Whether you agree or disagree, keep your posts courteous and respectful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Honestly, as far as killing, the bullet itself can be just about any modern big game bullet and get the job done on deer. I shoot cup-n-core Sierra GameKings and ProHunters primarily these days will no ill effects on game up to and including elk. However, some of the guys I know like premium loads because they simply tend to shoot better/more accurately in their gun of choice. I can totally understand that.

I do have friends that take big magnums out West to shoot mule deer and antelope in the same places I hunt, and I admit to shaking my head a bit. They never take shots much past 200 yards and end up with brutally damaged meat way too often. I use a .243 with 100 gr. GakeKing softpoints on those same hunts and do just fine on the same game. I can't recall a single deer or antelope in past 4 years that has run further than 20 yards when hit by that .243, and the majority went absolutely nowhere. But, if it's a large-caliber gun that makes others feel comfortable, it's hard to argue against it. Confidence is a very real part of the hunting equation.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'm still not clear on why it matters what someone else uses?

I have the following line of reasoning--- I will use a quality bullet and shoot a deer through the tops of the shoulders every chance I get. Why? Because that shot, with a bullet that will penetrate deep, has dropped every deer I've shot that way on the spot with no drama.

And my logic is this- if I lose some shoulder meat and get the deer, I lose far less meat than if I have a bullet that doesn't penetrate due to failure or whatever, and I lose the entire deer.

But all that said, who the heck cares what I shoot? Or what willyp shoots? Or what (insert member name here) shoots? It just doesn't matter, really.

To me, our primary objective is a clean, ethical kill. Not impressing others with how expensive our gear is, nor impressing others with how cheaply we can kill deer. It's to put that animal down cleanly and quickly and without undue suffering.

There's a lot of ways to skin that cat. I do it one way, but others have other methods. It's all good.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:41 AM
The Man

Premium bullets will hold together and perform better than lesser quality bullets. That's a given.

If a bullet fails the animal suffers. I do not want any animal to suffer. I want a instant kill. I know it is not always possible but that is my goal.

Bullets can fail. I have seen them blow up on skin and bone and fail to penetrate. I personally had it happen on two deer. The animals suffered until I could dispatch them. I have not experienced a bullet failure since I started using premium bullets.

I wonder how many "I hit it good but it ran away" incidents can be attributed to bullet failure after a good hit. We'll never know but I suspect a lot.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM

i think it has to do with those 30 minute outdoor channel infomercials and all the marketing hype. all that does is complicate things.

now folks need the latest and greatest gadgets, gizmos, every high dollar item out there. they can't kill anything with out it.

our Fathers and Grandfathers didn't have all this stuff when they hunted and those meat poles at camp always hung heavy with venison. taken by guys carrying 30-30's and wearing woolrich plaid outfits.

very simple, OH..and they had skills that hunters lack today. If i keep going i know i'll change the direction of this post into the choice of gadgets and gizmos.

wllyP and TDD are right, if it works for you...GOOD

just dont get caught up in all that marketing hype and buy stuff you dont need. any bullet out there in the proper caliber will kill the deer.

a low price savage rifle will kill a deer as fast as a high dollar custom made gun with a zeiss scope.

have fun, stay safe, enjoy the seasons.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM

I say shoot whatever you want to shoot, bullet, caliber, etc., and enjoy hunting. Nothing good comes from finger pointing. To each their own.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit
I say shoot whatever you want to shoot, bullet, caliber, etc., and enjoy hunting. Nothing good comes from finger pointing. To each their own.
That's it right there.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:24 PM

I like the 10 gauge for rabbits. Waugh

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page