12-Year-Old Girl Faces Online Backlash - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

12-Year-Old Girl Faces Online Backlash

<span style="font-style: italic">A 12-year-old girl who likes to hunt big game with her father sparked an online firestorm after posting photos of herself online posing with a giraffe and a zebra that she killed with the help of her dad.</span>

https://gma.yahoo.com/12-old-girl-faces-...opstories.html# https://gma.yahoo.com/12-old-girl-faces-...opstories.html#

Good for her.............in our politically correct world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:18 PM
The Man

Re: 12-Year-Old Girl Faces Online Backlash

Glad she stands up for her hunting and great to see a youngster that involved in hunting.

I have a zebra hide draped over my sofa in my trophy room and the only reason I didn't shoot a giraffe was that my ceilings are too low for the mount. I had a chance at a whopper and would have loved to have been able to take it. Giraffe are very tough to bring down and a great source of meat which is very good.

People are just plain uninformed. Zebra and giraffe are just like any other animal that needs to be managed. Most giraffe that are harvested are older ones that don't have long anyway.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:27 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any adult that ridicules a child is not very sporting either. That's the height of cowardice. Spurred on by equal parts ignorance and selfishness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 PM

Bambi Syndrome strikes again. To many people who saw The Lion King reacted to the little girls Facebook page.
Personally I would rather had shot both with a camera, since it is not something I would be willing to try and eat, but it appears she harvested them legally and gave the meat to a good cause why should she be criticized?
Funny how some human beings find it OK to threaten her life yet she was wrong to shoot a animal.
Priorities, Priorities, Priorities
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Glad she stands up for her hunting and great to see a youngster that involved in hunting.

I have a zebra hide draped over my sofa in my trophy room and the only reason I didn't shoot a giraffe was that my ceilings are too low for the mount. I had a chance at a whopper and would have loved to have been able to take it. Giraffe are very tough to bring down and a great source of meat which is very good.

People are just plain uninformed. Zebra and giraffe are just like any other animal that needs to be managed. Most giraffe that are harvested are older ones that don't have long anyway.
I would LOVE a zebra rug to go along with the kudu, gemsbok, nyala, and cape buffalo that I also hope to take some day...

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Kudu -

I used to work for a guy that hunted Africa.
He showed me the list of game available and their associated price tags...

Just curious - do you know much it would cost the hunter to harvest a giraffe??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD1969
Kudu -

I bet the whole hunt would be around 10K for flight, lodging, guide and then animal fee.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD1969
Kudu -

Standard price for a giraffe right now is around $4,000-$5,000 just for the trophy fee. You will find higher and lower, but that's around average. But that's just the trophy fee. Doesn't count the daily rate and as stated already, the flight, the dip and ship to get it home and a number of other things.
If you went on a standard 6 to 7 day safari and shot the usual game species plus the giraffe, you'd be looking in your rear view mirror at $10,000 easy.

The one I could have taken was about 8 years ago and they offered it to me for $2,500. And it was a WHOPPER. Bigger than any I'd seen until that point, or since.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:48 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I would LOVE a zebra rug to go along with the kudu, gemsbok, nyala, and cape buffalo that I also hope to take some day...
In my opinion, zebra are one of the toughest animals over there. I would rank them right up there with gemsbok and blue wildebeast.
I can't imagine going to Africa and not shooting a kudu. I've been very fortunate and have gotten one every time I went and consider them to be the most magnificent animal there. To me, kudu, along with impala, are the symbols of Africa when it comes to plains game.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
The Man

I'm a huge Peter Capstick fan (see my signature) and while he doesn't write much about hunting plains game, I couldn't imagine not hunting kudu either.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page