People Who Brag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

People Who Brag

As you may know,i am and old timer and been to a lot of places and met a lot of people.
I am a very quite soul and like to listen to folks,mostly,lets call them " GEOLOGICAL EXPERTS",which means they are experts in their own territory or their own minds.
I have worked with a few and been to little stores or visited hunting camps that had some!
I would say that because i am a good listener,they feel that i really follow their lead and use them as my idol ?
Example: I moved to this place i am at now,for a job. That was 15 years ago. I am a trouble shooting person. I got a job in a very big hospital facility.After 2 months my Supervisor tells me he hired another fellow. A buddy of his? " YOU WILL LIKE HIM" he tells me "HE HUNTS AND FISHES PLUS HAS A LOT OF GUNS!" OK Cool,i think?
I take my time feeling him out to see what he is like!After a couple of weeks i start talking hunting. Its October! Where we work is up in the mountains and deer,back then,before the big selling of doe license to kill them all off,were all over our place. Bears also!
Well then he starts: I will only use such and such rifle and only use Swift a frame bullets. When i shoot one i want to make sure it goes down!I am thinking OK,Good for you. Must be one heck of a hunter,i figure? I don't ask him anymore of his endeavors.
Well,Mister Expert,as i find out,has not got a deer in 25 years and he has a 36 acre farm !!!!
Then,after 5 years of working around him,i got to not care for him,so i kept away from him,a lot?
Turns out,Mr. Swift A Frame finally got a buck??? Yep, a buck! Yes sir a Buck and a fine??? Seems Mr.A Frame shot it in a safety zone and the home owner called the Game Protector! He didn't even get it gutted till the Game warden got there and nailed him.
He never told us,at work about this but you know how the grape vine works!
Turns out he had to pay a pretty good fine and lost the buck!
And you know what? The longer i was around him.at work,the more his personality got to me and i just,i shouldn't say this,but i hated him!
I only brag about my kids and grandchildren and it comes back to bite me sometimes?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: People Who Brag

So, what's it really like living in your ivory tower?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Please explain "Ivory Tower".

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp
Please explain "Ivory Tower".
It's a reference to an attitude of retreat or remoteness to everyday affairs. Granted, I don't know you but this is a forum dedicated to outdoor sports. With that in mind I can say with utmost certainty that ever single one of us have been construed of bragging at one point in our lives. Whether one might be rehashing the events that unfolded on a fishing/hunting trip or sharing pictures of the harvest at the office water cooler, someone somewhere has interpreted it as bragging.

Just saying that standing on the soapbox to rag on an old coworker for bragging is a very moot point.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

How did the A-frame perform on that buck? Nice exit wound?
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

You would have to have met this fellow. He was unliked by a lot of people? He just had an attitude!
He did lose his job there? Mid 60s and would not take a urine test? when he did take it he failed.
This was at a drug rehab we worked.
The point was that he bragged about being a deer hunter and had never got one,legally.
You may be right,so,i am sorry.

WILLY P
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Everyone runs into one of them at some point.

You shot a 8, he got a 10 point.

You shoot a inch group, he shoots a .25

You took a groundhog at 400yds, he shoots them at 600 every day.

Hunts in the same area you do where a shot over 100 yards is threading the needle through trees, but has killed all his deer at 300 or better.

He wont use a regular bullet because it isnt a premium and just doesnt compare to a $$$$$ one.

It was fun watching my kids listen to post hunting season stories after I got them shooting competition stuff. Once they knew what 200-300 and 600 yds looked like in real life, they learned to take hunting stories with a grain of salt.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 PM
The Man

Willy, who really cares!
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Willy, hunters have been bragging since the caveman days ,
drawing animals on the wall.
Besides if hunters didn't brag we wouldn't get to read all
the " What do you do when you're tagged out " threads
every year.
I just love them!

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM
The Man

Supercilious fellow, that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page