New to deer hunting. Any tips? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New to deer hunting. Any tips?

I am new to hunting as it is, and last year, my first year, I tried for small game. I had no luck. It turns out bowhunting squirrels is a lot harder than the Youtube videos show.

I live in the city, so I don't have a great space to hunt (just my backyard). My biggest fear for deer hunting (maybe illogical) is after shooting it, God forbid it wanders into someone's yard and drops, if it does even die. I am going to Field and Stream this weekend and Im buying a target, so I practice more.

Another thing is, when is the best time of the year to hunt them. My guess is in September, when Archery season starts, it's still going to be hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 PM

Re: New to deer hunting. Any tips?

There is a Games Land in Allegheny County. More room. I am sure there are some farms around also. Call the Game Commission and get a list of Red Tag Farms in Allegheny County. Start there. Good Luck to you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Unfortunately I dot have a car to get to the game lands. I wish I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM

try to find and join the local gun club, sportsman club or what ever you have in the area.

i am sure someone there will be willing to take you under their wing and help you out.

if you have not already done so, take a hunter education course. good place to meet experienced people and for you to learn some things.

Good Luck

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
God forbid it wanders into someone's yard and drops, if it does even die.
If that happens make sure you get permission from the property owner to go in and retrieve the deer. He/she does not have to give it to you.

It’s funny until somebody gets hurt, then it’s hilarious
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 AM

Any co-workers, school buddies, neighbors or relatives that hunt ? Hopefully you did the hunter safety course if not do it - you will illegal without it(you shouldn't be able to get a license but some clerks don't check).

How big is your back yard ? Deer rarely die on the spot from an arrow no matter where you place that arrow. I've tracked some 30yds and others 1/4 mile(that one my buddy took out the top of the deer's heart) those were the ones we recovered. We've ALL lost deer to poor hits or the trail ran out and we couldn't find the deer. If you use the "search" feature you'll find a lot of - help I can't find my deer posts.

Personally if I was you I wouldn't hunt deer this year with a bow. It's a little late to start practicing in my "opinion". If you find a buddy maybe they'll let you borrow a shotgun + slugs for a hunt or two(only if you go with them - do not borrow and take home)

One other thing READ as much as you can not only the hunting stories(they are lacking in the "How to" department for the most part) but also books about deer and their habits.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy
I am new to hunting as it is, and last year, my first year, I tried for small game. I had no luck. It turns out bowhunting squirrels is a lot harder than the Youtube videos show.

I live in the city, so I don't have a great space to hunt (just my backyard). My biggest fear for deer hunting (maybe illogical) is after shooting it, God forbid it wanders into someone's yard and drops, if it does even die. I am going to Field and Stream this weekend and Im buying a target, so I practice more.

Another thing is, when is the best time of the year to hunt them. My guess is in September, when Archery season starts, it's still going to be hot.
is it legal to hunt in your yard? do you have permission from the neighbors?

there is a safety zone involved when hunting around populated areas and you might need written permission from the neighbors.

the best time of year to hunt deer is when they are IN SEASON.

deer do not die on the spot when shot with an arrow, they die from massive blood loss and could run pretty far, maybe into traffic and cause an accident that you would held accountable for causing.

take the safety course and head into the woods.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole
Any co-workers, school buddies, neighbors or relatives that hunt ? Hopefully you did the hunter safety course if not do it - you will illegal without it(you shouldn't be able to get a license but some clerks don't check).

How big is your back yard ? Deer rarely die on the spot from an arrow no matter where you place that arrow. I've tracked some 30yds and others 1/4 mile(that one my buddy took out the top of the deer's heart) those were the ones we recovered. We've ALL lost deer to poor hits or the trail ran out and we couldn't find the deer. If you use the "search" feature you'll find a lot of - help I can't find my deer posts.

Personally if I was you I wouldn't hunt deer this year with a bow. It's a little late to start practicing in my "opinion". If you find a buddy maybe they'll let you borrow a shotgun + slugs for a hunt or two(only if you go with them - do not borrow and take home)

One other thing READ as much as you can not only the hunting stories(they are lacking in the "How to" department for the most part) but also books about deer and their habits.
I did the safety course. I went to school with someone who hunts, and I sometimes message him on Facebook, asking questions about hunting. I kind of feel like Im bothering him, though. No one in my family really hunts.

The woods in my backyard is shaped weird. It's kind of shaped like a "T". There are or were people who hunted in those woods, as there is still a tree stand down there. It's not losing a deer that worries me. It is the deer wandering off with my arrow, and somehow me getting in trouble for it, unless it would just stick to the woods, because other than that area, it's all houses.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:08 AM

Hate to say it, but having a deer run off after being hit with an arrow is generally what happens when bowhunting, a big part of it is learning how to track & read bloodtrails. Unless you spine the deer (not suggested), it's not going to drop on the spot.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not just in small patches, but bow hunting general be very patient with your shot. Don't rush it and only take a shot that will penetrate both lungs. As you develop skills you'll be able to judge what other shots produce ethical kills as well.

It can be hard to discipline your self especially on a nice buck and even more so as a new hunter getting close to your first deer.

An asphyxiated deer isn't going very far, they have at most 10 seconds of consciousness. Maybe 200 yards max on flat open ground if they bolt. Most of the time you'll hear them crash less than 100 yards away.

Also, if you think you have understanding neighbors you might want to talk with them ahead of time. Let know your concerns and make it clear your an ethical hunter, but no one is perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page