young deer poacher - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

young deer poacher

Here is a article i found and i like to share .

Last December, we posted the story of one Ryan Paul Jackson, a then-19-year-old who cut the fence at a deer farm about 20 miles from my home and shot a 21-point buck with his bow. Jackson then dragged the buck from the enclosure, registered it at a local gas station, and proceeded to haul it around town for bragging and posing for photo sessions.

He even posted photos of the buck on his Facebook page before hiring a taxidermist to do the mount. But not so surprisingly, Jackson’s glory was short-lived. Within days of his night poaching raid, authorities had confiscated the buck’s head and Jackson was in jail.

The buck Jackson killed was valued somewhere between $15,000-$20,000. During the theft, 10 other deer escaped the enclosure, including two other adult bucks of lesser monetary value than the 21-pointer. Eight of the deer returned to the pen, but the two bucks remain at large.

According to the Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin, Jackson pled guilty to a charge of theft, while three other charges against him were dropped. He was fined $54,176.25 in restitution costs, was sentenced to 120 days in the county jail, and will be on probation for 10 years, during which he cannot hunt, trap or fish.

In poaching cases, we’re always measuring the punishment against the crime. It’s pretty typical to feel the violator got off easy, and we scream for more jail time or bigger fines. Those reactions are fine; when we collectively holler “Throw the book at him!” it shows our unified disdain for lawbreaking. But I think Jackson’s punishment is pretty nearly appropriate. Jackson is barely 20 years old and, it seems, not overly bright. Many of us did something spectacularly stupid when we were his age. Also, his fine is a substantial setback, considering the economy. I wouldn’t have lost sleep if Jackson had lost DNR privileges for life, but a decade hiatus is, I suppose, enough. Jackson will be 30 when he can buy a license again. Perhaps by then he’ll have had time to realize what a colossal idiot he was as a teenager, and decide to act in a more honorable manner as he matures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: young deer poacher

We were all young and dumb at one point in our lives. He was an adult at the time of the incident in which he deserves to be tried as an adult. I agree that the $ amount on the fine seems a little harsh given his age. But I'm sure because of that he won't be young and dumb after this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 PM

I think they just fixed "Stupid"

at least for him.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 PM

What kind of moron would think that someone, mainly the guy who owned the deer pen, wouldn't recognize this deer? I think his sentencing was in line with the crime. The owner of the deer pen took a big hit on this and deserves to be compensated. Not sure about the 10 year revocation.... This was more a crime against the owner of the deer, rather than the state's wildlife. As for his jail time, a 19 year old outta be able to do 120 days standing on their head.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 AM

A decade is a long time if you love hunting, but what he did was just a case of young stupidity. We are all young once and do things we are not proud of and would like to forget. that said, he is still young enough to learn from it. Or let it lead him down a road that has something even worst at the end. It is his choice.

I am not sure he understood the implications of stealing a giant like that off a preserve. From the day they get their first set I am sure they are cared for like a family pet.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 AM

Should be charged and penalized for theft, but not lose hunting/trapping/fishing privileges. Has nothing to do with hunting, just stealing a deer....

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Banned

He got what he deserves. Hopefully the penalty will discourage other poachers, but I doubt it. I cannot tolerate poachers of any kind for any reason. Being poor and needing meat is no exception to me. There are plenty of other means to get food if you need it. Being a kid isn't an excuse either. Respect for the game you are after should be taught at an early age. I can't believe some of these people call themselves sportsman, and have the nerve to pose with their illegally killed animal. It makes me sick.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Banned

If he has the nerve to shoot an animal that's basically livestock or some bodies pet, then do you think he would think twice about poaching a big wild deer if the opportunity arose? I think not. So to me loosing hunting privlages was a good move.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:26 PM

I would have banned him from hunting until the restitution is paid in full.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM
New Arrival

I agree 100%. Drives me insane when I find dead bucks during rifle season that aren't legal and you know what the story was. There are a lot of sick people out there and it's said that some of them are "sportsmen". They not only give us a terrible name and reputation but they also cheat you and me. I encourage anyone to confront poachers even if they are our friends. To me it's just the most unethical and disrespectful act there is. No respect for Nature, no respect for God's creations, no respect for your fellow man and sportsman. I feel the only way we can stop poaching is to get active and not be afraid to confront those that do it and also harsher penalties. The harder you come down on a person the first time for poaching the less likely that person commits a similar act again, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page