Deer Cart Recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Deer Cart Recommendations

Found an old thread on here, but it seems like some of the recommendations are no longer sold. So, what brand does everyone recommend for deer carts.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Deer Cart Recommendations

I like my aluminum cart from gander mountain. I put backpack straps on it to carry it in. Much nicer than wheeling it. I think I would prefer something with inflatable bike tires instead of the hard rubber tires that make everything rattle.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 AM
The Man

i have a folding alum from cabelas. Its ok, better then no cart. Never use it anymore as i can use the 4 wheeler

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM
The Man

I have two from Gander Mountain. Both have the hard tires and metal rims/spokes. Since I never break them down, I removed all of the little clips that come with them and replaced them with regular bolts. They are ok, but only if you have a fairly clear path or trail to follow. Transporting them thru the woods with a deer on them is almost as much work as dragging, especially if there are a lot of fallen trees. Worth their weight in gold under the right circumstances, but very difficult to maneuver in thick cover. The ones that fold up would be great for packing in, but you still have to get them out if successful.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

My property is fairly steep but has 3 logging roads that run on flats around the hillside. I have gotten them cleaned out now so pulling a cart shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't need to pack in as I would probably just walk back to camp to get it. I could take my Jd gator but for a weekend hunt I am thinking it might be a pain to trailer it down.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Was even thinking about something like this. They are around $130 with 1200 lb capacity. The bed size is 40" X 25".

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've had the Cabela's cart for about 10 years. It works great on trails but it's tough to use off trail and rocky uneven terrain. A jet sled works much better to pull a deer or bear out to a trail where a cart can be used for a longer haul.
I would be concerned about using a cart like the one pictured on uneven terrain. It looks like it would be top heavy when loaded with a deer or bear.
The top of the wheels on my deer cart are higher than the bed and stabilize the cart fairly well.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear
I've had the Cabela's cart for about 10 years. It works great on trails but it's tough to use off trail and rocky uneven terrain. A jet sled works much better to pull a deer or bear out to a trail where a cart can be used for a longer haul.
I would be concerned about using a cart like the one pictured on uneven terrain. It looks like it would be top heavy when loaded with a deer or bear.
The top of the wheels on my deer cart are higher than the bed and stabilize the cart fairly well.
That is a great point. It would be top heavy unless I found one like that with the tires spread wider than the bed and the bed sat down in. Probably going to go the 2 wheel deer cart route.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like my Cabelas Mag Hauler. Got it on sale for $99. Not sure it's still made. I can tell you this, I'm pretty certain it's saved me from a heart attack.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

I have a Strong Built from BPS years ago. Steel one with the hard rubber, spoked wheels. I put foam pipe insulation on the handle, wrapped with friction tape. I think it works much easier pushed in front of you, than pulled behind. You still have to get them out to a trail/roadbed before using it. I destroyed all the old plastic toboggans we had in the attic, doing that. Those plastic wrap around ones last about 1 time. I have some skidder sheets, my son got me from his old warehouse job I want to try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page