State of Indiana expands rifles permitted for deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
The Man

State of Indiana expands rifles permitted for deer

I don't know how many of you hunt the Indiana firearms deer season, but there is a press release on their site that they have passed legislation permitting some bottleneck firearms cartridges for this year instead of just certain straight walled ones like it was.
Permitted are only 6mm or .30 caliber cartridges, nothing else. It is a test run for 5 years and then an impact study will be submitted for final passage.

Come on November 12th. Can't wait to use my .300 Savage out there this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: State of Indiana expands rifles permitted for deer

Forgot to add they are only permitted on private land, for anyone else who is going.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM
New Arrival

Oh the crying I hear on a daily basis over this. Going to kill all the deer, hunters getting shot left and right. Its amazing what lack of knowledge bleeds. Where about you hunt in Indiana? I live down in south central, Lawrence county.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

PM incoming.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 PM

Who came up with 6mm and 30cal cartridges only? Lol.

30cals are common...6mm?? Odd lol.

Kinda like PA and the semi auto haters...fear for their lives and their feet.....

Only issue I see with the Midwest States and rifles is it will increase the range some guys can shoot...inline/slug guns have came a long way.. But at the end of the day 150-200yds in a good shooters hands is about it..

You can see/shoot a longggggg ways across some of the fields out there...I still don't see it changing much...

At the end of the season the guys that typically fill their tags still will...that's the way it is..same as in PA..there's guys that rarely ever shoot a buck...there's guys that kill a buck pretty much every season...there's the rest that are good for a buck once in a while...

It kinda balances itself out...

People getting shot? Not if people keep their heads on straight and take safe shots......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I don't know where the 6mm and .30 cal came from. It's just a test run for five years in addition to the straight walled cartridges that were permitted.
You should read some of the doom and gloom on some of the Indiana chat forums. You would think there will be zero deer left after one season and dead people laying all through the woods. PA is often cited as the example of what that state will become.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 AM

Hahahaha that is comical to me.....

But...a quick glance at what PQ hunters have said in recent years and your think we have no deer left....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
New Arrival

The 6mm came from legislators pushing this bill, trying to loop around DNR, that have no idea what they are talking about. It originally started as 5 rounds, 243, 30/30, 30/06, don't remember the 4th, and .300. That's all, .300. They didn't realize that .300 comes in many different flavors. Then they just said .243, not .243 winchester. So pushed on the .243 bullet and the 300 is what opened the flood gates. This originally started with dnr legalizing rifles shooting pistol calibers. They just set it as it had to be 1.6" and used a .358 caliber bullet. Didn't assume all the guys that had the ability to build wildcat rounds. Now we have I believe 5 different rounds that guys have built that are in pretty high demand. Most have ballistics comparable to .358 winchester. Any time I get into an argument I usually push the Penn state study on slug vs rifle rounds and use Kentucky as a model of states similar to ours that use hpr's. Haven't gotten a sensible response yet against. Usually its just too flat or our deer herd will be decimated. Usually I follow that with a, so you won't be using one? Most say they will. Its not a kill all the deer argument. Indiana is a big buck state. The issue is someone killing MY buck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

The no High Power rifle argument is always based on emotion not fact

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page