South Carolina hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

South Carolina hunt

I am planning a deer hunt in South Carolina and have it narrowed down to three lodges.

*Deerfield Plantation
*Buck Run Lodge
*South Carolina Trophy hunters

If anyone has had any experience with any of the above and would like to share their experience, or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Not a trophy hunter, no high fence, and maybe some opportunity at hogs too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: South Carolina hunt

Deerfield Plantation is a great lodge and would tell you that would be the place to go. Good people and good hunting. Intend to go back some day.
Buck run, well something about the owner and his brother in law hunting the same time you do and shooting all of the big bucks. Signing a 9 page document, telling you that he can kick you out at any time during your hunt if he doesn't like what you're doing. Hmmmm. Saw some nice dead deer---shot by the owner....No one else got anything worth speaking about and when I did shoot at a deer, he refused to go check out to see if it died. Tells me the next year he found the dead deer in the pines..Oh, I wasn't allowed to get out of my stand until he picks you up. Getting out early constitutes removal from hunting lodge..
Trophy hunters, never hunted there.

Big D
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM
The Man

Iíve hunted Deerfield every year since 1995. Iíve killed 55 deer (including 29 bucks), 3 big hogs and 2 bobcats on the place. I usually hunt the second or third week of October, but because of an early moose hunt next fall Iíll be at Deerfield the first or second week of December 2016. Iíve posted a story of my hunts on HPA every year for many years, below are links to 2015 and 2014. Iíve killed a number of very good bucks there as well, below are pics of a few.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...738#Post3628738

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...997#Post3426997

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gonna try to book for this year if possible and take my 13 yo!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tidewater good to see you....havnt seen you in awhile...
Great looking deer in Deer Plantation...!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 PM

Just based upon Loridr and Muttley's posts on here for years if I was to book a deer hunt in South Carolina it would have to be Deerefield.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

LORIDR,

I have never booked a hunt with an outfitter. How do you handle tipping each person and what percentage is usual????
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewaterguide
LORIDR,

I have never booked a hunt with an outfitter. How do you handle tipping each person and what percentage is usual????
Tidewater,

You tip your guide and the cook. For this type of hunt where your guide is simply putting you on a stand and helping recover your game the industry standard is 10%; I tip a little extra over that. You tip your guide personally at the end of your hunt. I usually tip the cook and in the case of Deerfield, the house keeper, $50.00 and give it to the owner to divide between them as he sees fit. On other hunts I'll usually personally tip the cook $50.00.

On hunts where a guide accompanies you all of the time during the hunt I'd tip about 15% depending on my perception of the effort he put out.

There are some outfitters who automatically add a tip to the price of the hunt and it seems to be getting more common. In that case it is what it is.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewaterguide
LORIDR,

Tidewater,

You tip your guide and the cook. For this type of hunt where your guide is simply putting you on a stand and helping recover your game the industry standard is 10%; I tip a little extra over that. You tip your guide personally at the end of your hunt. I usually tip the cook and in the case of Deerfield, the house keeper, $50.00 and give it to the owner to divide between them as he sees fit. On other hunts I'll usually personally tip the cook $50.00.

On hunts where a guide accompanies you all of the time during the hunt I'd tip about 15% depending on my perception of the effort he put out.

There are some outfitters who automatically add a tip to the price of the hunt and it seems to be getting more common. In that case it is what it is.

Thanks for the info, that sounds pretty reasonable. Don't want to rip them off or have them pee in my coffee on the return trip
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM

I can second Loridrs suggestion for Deerfield.

I've gone on 4 hunts to Deerfield w/Loridr, always did well and had a blast. It's a great place to hunt. My cousin joined us this past Oct for his 1st hunt there, he's hooked! We'll both be booking return trips.

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page