SGL 127 buck hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

SGL 127 buck hunting

SGL 127 buck hunting-

Does anyone have any experience deer hunting this chunk of gamelands? Has just over 25k acres. I know it (and surrounding public land) gets hunted pretty heavy for bear but I never hear much about the deer hunting. Are there any deer on it? More importantly, have you bagged, saw or heard of any large racked bucks coming off this piece? I would think they gotta be there being such a big block of land.-I drive by it all the time, just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Re: SGL 127 buck hunting

We have taken deer back in 127, up by Bradys Lake area and back the gated Blakeslee trac area by the creek at Pocono Pines. I never saw anyone take a bruiser but there are a fair amount of legal deer.
The food plots across the dam are listed on the PGC website as Deer Focus Areaa.
There are deer in there but by opening of rifle they make their way towards the Locust Lake development.
The area gets hammered for bear and turkey but if you have no other place to hunt is not a bad place to put in a few hours.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt it during archery, and hug the developments. {Arrowhead lakes or Locust Lakes} Hunted it for 25 years till I bought my own camp, heard its rough hunting in there now.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I haven't hunted that area in a few years, but one year while bear hunting, I almost got run over by a bruiser buck chasing a doe!!

I also noticed the new road on the left before you get to the lake. It takes you all the way around to the back side of the lake. When did they open this road?

Steve
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 PM
The Man

Haven't hunted it in decades, but the Brady's Lake looks from the maps, with numerous housing units bordering the area, that it sure must catch a lot of nearby hunters.
There are areas where you won't see another hunter as happened years ago. Carried a small herd when I hunted it. Probably so, since it was an artillery army base and wasn't full of highly prized farm lands. Best I think to pre-scout areas. Had a lot of swamps in former years. And would look now for recently timbered land.
If it snowed, I really might cover it again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:10 PM

That road opened at about the time that the dam was replaced. They also had a large concrete mixer at that site.

This is who we are. This is what we do.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnboy
That road opened at about the time that the dam was replaced. They also had a large concrete mixer at that site.
They just opened that road last year. It was always gated (walk in only) before that. Far as I'm concerned that ruined a great area.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

One with think that with such a good chunk of land combined with scrub beech and swamps that it would allow bucks to grow old (and large). I would think with that combo it would make for some tough hunting.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelmasters
One with think that with such a good chunk of land combined with scrub beech and swamps that it would allow bucks to grow old (and large). I would think with that combo it would make for some tough hunting.
You would think that, but the problem with 127 is it's a huge chunk of land and very little food. It's virtually completely beech and I haven't seen the beech fruit well for years up there, mainly because of disease.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 PM
The Man

One would do well to hunt the north end of the gamelands along the Lehigh River...just sayin'!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page