Feral Hog Hunting Trip Recommedations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Feral Hog Hunting Trip Recommedations

I'm looking to do a hunting trip with my dad in the next year or 2. I'm thinking feral hogs because of their abundance, thinking it would be a less expensive hunting trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a location and time of the year that would be best? I want fair chase (no high fence) and maybe a DIY, but I'm open to using a guide or outfitter. thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
The Man

Re: Feral Hog Hunting Trip Recommedations

If your talking DIY, then you'll have to research public land hunts in the south.

If you decide to go guided and are looking to big numbers of hogs and pretty much guaranteed success, look at outfitters in Texas.

If you want something closer with a reasonable chance of success, there are dozens of outfits in the south. I hunt deer in the fall at Deerfield Plantation in St. George SC. They offer hog specific hunts in the winter and the hunters do quite well.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 PM

On my bucket list, I would do one of those helicopter hunts in Texas. They advertise them for about $2500. in the NRA magazine.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 PM

like loridr said, Deerfield plantation or red bluff lodge both located in S.C.

both will be at the Harrisburg show next month too.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you have an AR, AK or the like, fair game down in TX. Even better if you have laser sights/night vision. You can play with all the toys down there (I think) and use them on the piggies.

Suburban redneck.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM

I finally lucked out and got an invite to hunt hogs at a work-colleagues ranch in TX (going in 2 weeks). Took me 20 years to make that kind of connection!

Like others have said, Deerfield Plantation is a nice place. You pay to hunt there but it's not high fence. I've never solely hog hunted there but have shot 3 hogs while deer hunting. Unfortunately I only recovered one of them. If you do not hit them in the head and drop them on the spot in a place like SC with jungle-like vegetation... they do not leave blood trails and can run for a mile, no matter what caliber gun you shoot them with. I would not have believed that if I hadn't bowled 2 of them over w/a 300 Win Mag. The one somersaulted in the air when I hit him and was laying on his side motionless. 10 seconds later he got up and ran away across a cut field into the thickest stuff you have ever seen. The other was in the swamp, blasted him and he was on the ground doing the leg kick, then he rolled out of view - that was the last I saw of him. In both cases we beat the bush w/5 or 6 people, never found nuthin! Owner of Deerfield commented after the 2nd one he's shot probably a hundred hogs in the body and never found any of them. Aim for the head!

They are tough critters!

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 PM
The Man

Here's a lil sumptin sumptin to pump ya up for a hog hunt. I've killed these three while deer hunting at Deerfield:

213 lb boar

201 lb boar

150 lb sow

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 AM

There are a lot of options available if you want to hunt hogs, you can go to a plantation or ranch and sit over a feeder, drive ag fields at night and shoot them with night vision rifles, or chase them with dogs (my favorite ). DIY is going to be tough if you are just going in cold, they usually live in the nastiest cover they can find, are mostly nocturnal, and have a better sense of smell than a deer. Contrary to what they show on NatGeo or the Discovery Channel, there isn't a pig behind every tree, and if they aren't completely established they tend to travel far looking for food. I would look for a guide near coastal Georgia, anywhere near Abbeville, GA, or Okeechobee, FL. I know there a lot of hogs in Texas also, but I've only shot them incidentally while deer hunting in that state. Winter is probably the best time to hunt them, especially if you want to use dogs. Good luck!

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM
The Man

Winter is definitely the best time to hunt them over bait as well. Not only do they have a better sense of smell than a deer, they are much more intelligent. The less natural food left in the woods as winter goes on, the better they respond to baiting.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Part of the Community

A group of friends, of mine, have hunted Ranger creek ranch here in TX. They keep going back there for what they call the "Free hog hunt' I'm going to give it a try this year mainly it is not a bad drive from San Antonio and will be good to see some of my old PA buddies from high school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page