Hunting Oregon - What Would You Do? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Hunting Oregon - What Would You Do?

My wife's cousin lives in Oregon and is a hunting and outdoor enthusiast. He's said he'd like me to come out and hunt with him.

I hunt both archery (compound, Z7) and rifle. While I'm not a young pup (52) I am a runner and in really good shape.

My wife's cousin said we can hunt however, where ever, for whatever. Being an outdoor nut and young, he is in exceptional shape and says whatever I'm up for, he's ready.

So anyone who's been to Oregon, what would you suggest as a good hunt? Interested in your thoughts and experiences.

And as this is one of those "trip of a lifetime" deals, especially having the benefit of a local hunting enthusiast as my guide, I'm not going to be too picky on the "trophy size". I'd be thrilled with a nice representative animal that I could have mounted, but not saying "Pope and Young" or "Boone and Crockett" or bust.

Happy New Year HPA. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:54 PM
The Man

Re: Hunting Oregon - What Would You Do?

I'd recommend you give Big28hunter a PM. He hunted Oregon for blacktail just this past fall and has a ton of experience big game hunting just about anywhere you can think of.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 04:09 PM
The Man

I've never been there but I'd say Elk, if he has any experience hunting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

sasquatch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was in NE Oregon in September working and saw tons of elk and wildlife in general. From the little bit of research I did it appeared elk tags for that area were very competitive and hard to draw. I'd love to give it a shot someday though

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM

Seems it would depend on what tag(s) you can get.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I don't know all the details, but my wife's cousin was discussing something about resident tags being transferable within a family.

I have not researched that yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would certainly take him up on his offer. Oregon is a beautiful state full of wildlife. I would suggest a late rifle blacktail hunt and also get a bear tag just incase you see one. I saw plenty of bear sign but didn't see any. Seen a lot of deer but mostly doe. Was able to get one that I am certainly proud of. I too wasn't hunting for trophy size. I was just looking to complete the North American Deer Slam. I plan on hunting out there again for elk. I'm 46 and also love to run. Consider myself to be in good shape but those mountains will tell you otherwise. Do some hiking with a pack up and down the biggest mountains you can find. Good huntin'
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big28hunter
I would certainly take him up on his offer. Oregon is a beautiful state full of wildlife. I would suggest a late rifle blacktail hunt and also get a bear tag just incase you see one. I saw plenty of bear sign but didn't see any. Seen a lot of deer but mostly doe. Was able to get one that I am certainly proud of. I too wasn't hunting for trophy size. I was just looking to complete the North American Deer Slam. I plan on hunting out there again for elk. I'm 46 and also love to run. Consider myself to be in good shape but those mountains will tell you otherwise. Do some hiking with a pack up and down the biggest mountains you can find. Good huntin'
Thanks for the advice and the well wishes!

Good huntin' to you too.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

If the cousin has acreage, he may have land owner tags, with a limited number allowed to be issued to non immediate family members. I'm pretty sure you can not transfer tags with in a family. Eastern Oregon is draw only for general tags, for deer and elk. I believe Western Oregon is OTC. You must buy a hunting licence to apply for the draw at about $180, which you do not get back if you do not draw. Draw application deadline is usually around May 15th. Deer tag if drawn is around $360, and elk is in the $500 range...Landowner tags are the same price as general tags. Hope this helps, and hope you go have a nice hunting trip!

V10 advocate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page