Passing them up on public land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Passing them up on public land

Wondering how many hunters pass up good shot opportunities on public land deer? How many did you this year? Please respond with how many and what sex as well as the seasons. Please no specific SGL #'s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Passing them up on public land

3 shot opportunities 30 yds or less for mature does standing broadside or walking during 2nd week rifle. At least a dozen during archery. Have not seen a legal buck this year but there is still time.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM
dce
Sage

I spent all of archery season with my 10 year old.He killed a couple doe but I never carried a bow until the first week of November.I passed a huge buck chasing a doe but he was slightly out of range.I ended up killing a decent 8 point about a minute later.The day before I passed a small 6 point and had two small dinks under me.Other than the two does my son shot,I never had another doe in range during archery season.Rifle season I shot a bunch of doe and passed up even more because I only feel like dealing with so many dead deer each day.I still have two tags and most likely won't even try to fill them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 PM
New Arrival

I have passed on medium size bucks numerous times on State Land. Some years I am very selective, but some years I will opt for the first legal buck I see.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:51 PM
The Man

My deer hunting is done on almost all public land.. I've never passed on a legal buck unless I didn't have a killing shot. I've passed up many antlerless deer based on size.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 PM

I passed on a small doe at 30 yards in archery. Passed 3 does in rifle to get a better look at the buck that was with them. He got a pass as well. I usually dont pass any opportunities but this year has been different for some reason.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 PM
The Man

I'm in the same boat as dce. There is only so many dead deer I can handle in a day.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 PM
The Man

This year saw more big bucks than little ones. Big ones are smarter than me and didn't have any real shot opportunities. Buck tag soup again this year

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm an "old school" archer I will never shoot a doe(that's bait for the bucks) with my bow except in the late season. I'm also very selective on my bucks, not looking for the biggest but it has to be wall worthy during regular archery. When I was younger (years before AR) I spent 1 season chasing a tall wide thick 4 pointer, didn't get him. Now that I'm older I know that deer had serious potential and I would not target him. Rifle season my standards drop a bit, I seem to have a thing for half rack fighters LOL. Due to the intense pressure we no longer rifle hunt "doe" on public lands here in the SE. About the only time I will take one is if a wounded one comes by.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 PM
The Man

I honestly couldn't count the number of doe I passed on this season. Had a tag but had a no desire to use it. Passed on 4 legal buck and missed a couple good ones.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page