It use to sadden me,the last day. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

It use to sadden me,the last day.

When i was younger,the end of deer season was a sad thing.I would hunt with a bow and then a gun.I was obsessed,you could say! I would say i was a meat hunter and any legal deer was fair game! After a while i became an antler hunter. The meat was just a secondary thing and i would give it family or friends.
It would break my heart when it was over? Now days it just has me planning my next seasons hunts and putting my equipment in order. I still have flintlock season,only if it doesn't get real cold out. I turned in to a sissy!
How about you folks.How do you cope with the end of season?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: It use to sadden me,the last day.

I was fortunate this year and tagged out early. That said, it was bittersweet because it was over so soon. Now I'm looking forward to small game season opening and trying my hand at some new hunting spots near me. I've got my eyes on some porcupines this year in an area that's new to me and ripe with porky sign. I'm also looking forward to fly fishing for some steelhead and pike before the ice forms. There is still plenty to do!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This was only the second season, since I killed my first deer in 1987, that I didnt get a deer. The other was due to not hunting alot because of having a very sick mother. I dont hunt nearly as much as I did in the past so I wouldnt say its due to lack of deer, even though I didnt see the numbers I normally do. Overall I had a great season. I enjoyed the nice weather and liked not freezing while on stand. I had some great times hunting with my sons and friends. I enjoyed being with my son and seeing his excitement when he got one during a early ML hunt. I still have the late seasons but really doubt if I will do any more deer hunting this season. Like to OP, when I was younger, the end of the season I would be sad, not anymore for me though.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im glad...gives alittle time for the deer time to be normal for second season and gives me a break to get things done around the house.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have mixed emotions...but over the years I've developed a love for late flintlock season...so this, year though it's been a good one..(.I got my six year old out in the stand, and also helped get my wife her first buck)...I've been blessed beyond measure this year, though I have yet to punch a tag...but, I'm happy to leave the 270, warm Temps and hunter orange behind me and I'm ready to smell some black powder burning after chriatmas

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 PM

I let my desire to hunt ruin my buck kill this season...

Had a great day in the woods with some of my best friends...

Once I fired the shot that dropped my buck I had feelings hit me like never before...I was excited and happy and grateful to take a buck..proud I made a perfect shot that put him down instantly..

But my buck hunting was over...and I wasnt happy about that...

It took away from the kill...and then I best myself up over that...its been a week and a day...and I'm still beating myself up...

I still have a doe or 2 to hunt in flintlock...I pushed 2 buddies both real nice 115-120" bucks..

I'm already scouting...planning..moved a camera...

It never ends for me.....but filling my tag was very bitter sweet this year...

Not sure how to "fix" it so I don't feel like this again...2 options....set the bar higher and only shoot bigger bucks... And/or buy an Ohio license so I will have another option to continue hunting..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

I used to be the same way. But now my squirrel and coonhunting takes priority over everything and there is still a couple months left of that. I do enjoy my deer hunting still and am going to try to kill a deer with the flintlock this year for the first time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I tell my wife there is in season and pre season. I love walking the woods, getting the heart rate up and staying shape. I can't run on a treadmill or track, I need rocks and steeps.

My depression point is at the end of bow season because I've been hunting two weeks straight then back to work.. It's difficult adjusting. The earliest I've shot a buck is October 26. Could not imagine shooting one the first week. I enjoy the pursuit and the work more than the kill.. The buck kill itself is exciting yet depressing. But I work as hard for my hunting partners so it doesn't end if I kill.

I went spotting tonight.. Being in the house all day makes me go bananas. I spend more time in the woods now thru March than I do in the summer and fall, including hunting season. I am glad to see hunting end every year. So nice being in the woods alone, not having to be quiet or worried about scent, and checking out this seasons evidence.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 AM

I pop a cork at the end of rifle. I deal with a LOT of nonsense with road hunting, trespassing, and associated crap. It's all used up by this calendar spot, so I use this date to say....Ahhhhhhh.

That doesn't mean its "over", but much of it is. I sleep alot better now. I have tags, but the freezer is full, so all I care about now is keeping the dregs away, and protecting the survivors for next year. I'm on to predator hunting.

Please put your WMU in your location! Helps! 3C
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingcounty
I pop a cork at the end of rifle. I deal with a LOT of nonsense with road hunting, trespassing, and associated crap. It's all used up by this calendar spot, so I use this date to say....Ahhhhhhh.

That doesn't mean its "over", but much of it is. I sleep alot better now. I have tags, but the freezer is full, so all I care about now is keeping the dregs away, and protecting the survivors for next year. I'm on to predator hunting.
You pretty much hit it spot on. After Saturday I can finally begin to unwind and relax. Knowing that a bunch of the bucks I didn't want harvested made it through is icing on the cake. Now it's time to formulate a hit list for next season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page