Being A Mentor For First Time. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Being A Mentor For First Time.

I was very lucky last week to harvest a nice 8 point with a 16.5" spread. I have plenty of doe tags being in a DMA. On Thursday am I bagged a nice doe. My cousin borders me and his hunting buddy has been not so lucky to get any shooting. I knew on Saturday they was going to take a youngster out hunting. They did it last year and I could gather it was really kind of a sacrifice. I got the idea to go down and ask my cousin about taking this little guy I never met. I explained and they knew I had already had a good week and why should they burn there doe tag when I had plenty. I never did this before but would like to give a try and they could put there time in trying to kill something themselves. My cousin thought that was a good idea so the grandparents brought him up Friday evening to meet me they only live 15 minutes away. Everyone seemed happy and apprecitive about this and I got to meet 10 year old lets say Joe. My cousins friend told me he would be good to sit for one hour. The grandparents are raising this boy for reasons I don't care to discuss on net but after I thought how sad. Joe was going to be using a 700 243 older style that you had to push safety off to lift bolt, I thought well strike one I will make a plan for this. They told me he does well with gun and does fair amount of plinking and lives in very rural setting I figure he has some trigger time under his belt. They asked when to have him up to me I told them 630, everyone was very surprised saying they don't normally take him out until afternoon but little joe liked this and he was delivered to me at 630 am. We sat in my cabin and talked a few minutes of my plan, I told him this was my first time doing this since my daughter had no desire to hunt. I told him I knew the rules and I was going to carry gun and only have one in chamber, if he shot he was to hand gun back to me for reloading. Then to make it better I was going to take him to my heated box stand where it would be comfortable and we could stick it out longer. I was told he likes to talk and gets cold easy 1 hour would be the max. We got situated in my stand and he was very impressed. We went over our plan again but I didn't like the idea of loaded gun in stand since both of us was in it explaining I would load it quick and quiet this was my rules and safety was number one. Of all days nothing was happening and this stand was hot all week the day before a nice 4 point actually bedded 20 yards away for 2 hours. I sat with my swaro 10x42 bincs like I was out west elk hunting just wanted a deer to pop up so bad. Joe was getting a little restless whispering a lot but not bad and of course got hungry and had to p twice. He asked me how long we was going to stay I said until 11 am. He said wow I have never been out that long, this was 9am. About 930 I seen 2 small deer below me appear and I knew that they would stop around 15-20 yards in front in a good opening. I said Joe I see Deer. That was kind of a mistake on my part because he came to life. I loaded gun got him in place to shoot out of window with good rest. I explained be calm and they will move out of brush for a shot, Joe got he fever and said I can take them there. I said no and you must listen to me it would be a bad shot. So with our chatter deer took off with out a shot. I felt so bad for this little guy he wanted so bad. I then explained he had to trust me of what is said we only take safe high percentage shots. I could see the look in his face and that little experience changed him, he started to be more attentive in looking and had more of a desire. 11 am rolled around and I told him we would leave and come back in few hours, he was happy with that and proud he set a new record of being out 4 hours +. We moved down hill and I could see a flicker of a deer on a power line opening so I told him we would walk very quiet with me in lead carring gun. We got around 30 yards I told him there is a deer there grazing he would now have to get in front of me and we would use a tree for a rest to shoot. I told him you have to listen to everyword I say and do as I say. I placed him as I said standing behind him with him now holding rifle against tree. He seen the doe and I told him he had to wait it still wasent in the clear yet that it should move around 3-4 steps to left for a shot. The doe stepped where I said and the fever hit little joe, I could hear that little excited voice saying you have to help me! I said Joe this is your deer I cant and wont shoot for you take your time and do your best. he was taking good aim to me all on his own about that time the trigger broke on the 243 and deer just walked away. He handed me the gun right of way as instructed for reload but a second shot was out of question. I felt so bad for little Joe he progressed so much from early sightings. We checked no blood and I seen he shot very low no harm no foul. I sat him down and explained this happens to all of us that I could not tech him not to get excited but explained some other ways to deal with it. I told him at my age of 55 I still get excited and when it stops totally its time to quit hunting being no fun anymore. We went down to my cabin and took a good break with him calling his family talking about his morning hunt that he was going back out at 2 pm. As the time rolled around we was ready again and headed back to the box stand. This time I had so much better of a hunter with me having the desire now to really make it happen. He was checking surroundings just like me and finally around 3:30 I spotted another deer in front of us. I told him earlier I was going to prop my door open in case a deer came from that area we wouldn't get busted opening door so we had to be extra quiet. I instructed Joe where to stand as I loaded the 700 and was able to hand it to him in a safe manner. He would be shooting off of my porch rail I have a 360 degree 3' wide porch around stand. He handled rifle very well off of rail waiting for my command I wa right behind him looking thru the swaro's. Finally deer moved out in good opening around 60 yards when Joe touched off, somehow we encounterd another miss with deer just walking away. We did our team work of reloading and he got in position for another shot. This time the only part we could see was hind 1/4, so a second shot was not taken and Joes deer faded in brush. Again my heart was dropped for this guy trying so hard. I decided to close door and go over with what happened, this time it was executed perfect I didn't see as much buck fever and he listened to everything I said. We just had a plain miss no better way I can explain. By the time 5 rolled around nothing else appeared ending our hunt. I took him back to my cousins where his g-parents was awaiting and he was very excited about his day and of course gave his story. I explained to him earlier you have to enjoy the hunt to be able to appreciate the kill. It will happen later for you. I had probably one of the greatest days in the woods that day given the first time in my life to do this. The little guy progressed so much and I was his hero that day. The g-parents was very appreciative and gave me a jar of home made apple butter. This was my day of hunting Sat. Dec. 5 2015 a day I will never forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 PM
The Man

Re: Being A Mentor For First Time.

Congrats, a great day for both of you and he learned a lot. Thank you for taking the time and effort to teach him.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM

Congrats on a great day. It's not the kill that makes the hunt.
When I toke my daughters out for their first deer, it was great just to see the hunt through their eyes.
Hope you can take him out again, because seeing them shoot their first deer will be an experience you won't forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:24 PM
New Arrival

Awesome story. with the way you summarized his last miss, can you verify the gun/scope are accurate? I dropped my gun walking in one AM and missed a doe. Took it to the range and scope was off.

Congrats to you and hope the lil fella can connect on one soon.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I was told he practiced with it and day before opener he shot two rounds. Now im a shooter and sticker on guns shooting properly. The old day of hitting a oil can at 30 yards then go hunting don't fly with me. I actually thought about that but this was put together the night before. I would hate to think his gun wasent ready for the hunt. His second shot to me was executed very well I couldn't believe it missed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Great ethics ! Your a good mentor . Hope you two connect soon and don't forget the camera .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I thank you, I did my best and pre planned as much as I could the night before of how to do this. My daughter is 31 got her shooting a little in younger days but never in the field. I am a amateur wildlife photographer in training so I had cameras ready.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 PM

That was a very honorable thing you did taking that young man out hunting.

My son missed at this 1st few opportunities as well and I think he was all the better for it afterwards. I think they learn more when they miss contrary to a similar experience I had with my kids the 1st time we took them fishing, we had a banner day so now every time we go fishing and if we don't have 20 fish landed in the 1st hour, they are bored. See what I am saying.

You've set a good foundation to build on. Good luck to you both on your next outing.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I thank you, I now have a plan for another year. If this little guy chooses to hunt with my cousin next year that is fine. I got thinking when I was 12 my dad had to work second sat. of deer season of course meaning I had to stay home. Im looking at next year if I can find a youngster in a situation like this I will take him on my property, supply a tag, nice box stand, descant hunting area, along with lunch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 PM

Enjoyed the story,you definitely made an impression for ethical hunting in that youngster.Congrats to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page